Education Minister comments on former prez Mahama's progressively free SHS

Education Minister comments on former prez Mahama's progressively free SHS

- Dr. Opoku Prempeh says the former NDC government didn't pay the fees for 100,000 students in the Progressively Free SHS program

- Education Minister has stated that the former government's Progressively Free SHS has been scrapped by government

Ghana's Minister of Education, Hon. Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh has alleged that the former Mahama led government administration didn't pay a single Cedi for 100,000 students enrolled in former President Mahama's Progressively Free SHS program.

For more news on YEN click here

Education Minister comments on former prez Mahama's progressively free SHS

Education Minister. Hon. Matthew Opoku Prempeh Credits: Ghanaweb

READ ALSO: Lil Win breaks silence on alleged "One Corner" song theft

According to Education Minister Matthew Opoku Prempeh, contrary to the former National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration's promises shoulder the fees, no funds were paid for students enrolled under the Progressively Free SHS program announced in 2015.

Speaking on Tuesday during an interview with Starr News, the Education Minister repeatedly insisted that not one student out of the 100,000 enrolled had his fees paid by the previous government.

The second year of his progressively free SHS was being extended to 100,000 students in boarding schools…till president Mahama left, not a single student had been on that [financial] scholarship,” said the Education Minister.

Pay Attention: Get all the latest news on YEN.com.gh

"I said till president Mahama left…I am speaking on authority, not one student…the records are there. The facts speak for themselves and not a single student in a secondary school out of the 100,000 had been awarded scholarship.” continued the Education Minister.

According to the Education Minister, his ministry met with headmasters and scholarship secretariats and asked if anyone was sent to "receive scholarships", and the responses were reportedly a unanimous no. Dr. Opoku Prempeh stated that government decided to drop the program upon realizing no finances were put into the program.

READ ALSO: Information Minister chimes in on Mahama-Bawumia spat

Do you have any story to share with YEN? Get featured! We are available on Facebook

Source: Yen.com.gh

Related news
Damongo SHS headmaster 'angry' over WASSCE results; burns 300 mobile phones into ashes

Damongo SHS headmaster 'angry' over WASSCE results; burns 300 mobile phones into ashes

Damongo SHS headmaster 'angry' over WASSCE results; burns 300 mobile phones into ashes
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel