Ghanaian people are generally a friendly, peaceful and easy-going bunch except when it comes to certain topics that get us all riled up to the point of scary aggression.
These are the conversations that can send Ghanaians over the edge, most often towards the tipping point of violent consequences.
This week YEN.com.gh brings to the fore 5 of such topics:
1. Politics. We definitely love our political talks. However some disagreements regarding support for political parties or their leaders can get some Ghanaians to their boiling points.
2. Football. No other sport knows how to push our buttons like a big football match. The average Ghanaian’s appreciation for their favorite team has led to some actual serious altercations.
3. Corruption. Not just in politics, but any any news of corruption anywhere can get a Ghanaian’s anger level from zero to 100.
4. “Fake” Pastors, prophecies, miracles. Ghana is secular state, that much is a given, but news of prophets getting up in their daily revelations that spell doom and gloom for the entire nation, really rubs the citizenry the wrong way. No one likes to hear they might not see the end of 2017.
5. Homosexuality, the last but definitely not least, this conversation was once again started following President Akufo-Addo's remarks that while the legalization of homosexuality was not on his government’s agenda, the conversation could be opened once a stronger coalition was mounted for it. This has led to a series of protests by some sections of the public who have declared they would not accept the legalization, should it ever be launched.
YEN is building a platform where Ghanaians can share local news and own experiences with each other. Witnessing an incident? Want to tell about a local problem? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Send us a message via YEN’s official Facebook page.