- The regional minister, Simon Osei Mensah, in an earlier report, is alleged to have stated that the deaths at KUMACA were as a result of Ebola
- He has however denied the statement, saying he meant that people need to wait for the official results, as it was in the case of the Ebola outbreak
- He added that the school may soon be closed down to pave way for official investigations into the incident
Get the latest news in Ghana
Simon Osei Mensah, the Ashanti regional minister has denied reports that he said the mysterious deaths at the Kumasi Academy School (KUMACA) were as a result of Ebola.
His statement is a reaction to reports circulating in sections of the media that he said Ebola was responsible for the deaths.
In those reports, he allegedly granted an interview to Kumasi-based Nhyira FM, during which he allegedly stated that Ebola, not meningitis, was responsible for the deaths.
Explaining his earlier statement, he said that he sought to encourage people to wait for the results of the tests, as was in the case of the Ebola outbreak.
He however noted that the school may be closed down latest by Friday 8th December 2017.
This, he explained is to make certain that staff in the school are checked in order to ensure that they are free from infections.
The decision, the minister further explained, was a as a result of a consensus reached with the Ashanti Regional Health Directorate, the Ghana Education Service, and the school’s Parents and Teacher Association.
Six students of the school have so far been discharged from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology (KNUST hospital.
An estimated 18 others, are however still on admission.
In the light of the recent incidents in the school, the minister of Health, Kwaku Agyemang-Manu, has also been summoned to Parliament to provide answers with regard to the issue.
Want to be featured on YEN.com.gh? Send us a message on our Facebook page with your stories, photos or videos