From heavy traffic to decorations to a hike in prices and even most noticeable of all, the Harmattan weather, the Christmas holidays are here again and the need to give and make merry is upon us.
Get the latest news in entertainment and politics on YEN.com.gh
Gift ideas for that special Him or for Her may have already been laid out but what are the typical gifts Ghanaians tend to receive during the festive season?
This week YEN.com.gh finds five common gifts that can be found in any Ghanaian home:
1. Hampers. Good old woven baskets filled with all kinds of edibles; this is a classic gift that never goes out of style during the holidays.
READ ALSO: Actress Zynnell Zuh breaks hearts on Instagram with her elegant looks this week
2. Livestock/Poultry. Family members, especially from outside the main capital cities, tend to gift their relatives live goats or poultry to help them celebrate the happy season.
3. Foodstuff. If you don’t get a large bunch of plantains, a sack of cassava or many tubers of yam, are you really from a Ghanaian home?
4. African print cloth. This is another very popular gift especially around Christmas. Have no idea what to give your mum, dad or that favourite cousin? African Prints are your best bet.
5. A crate of soft drinks. You can’t say this never happened. This was and still is (sometimes) one of the popular Ghanaian Christmas gifts; a whole crate of Coca-cola, Fanta or Sprite.
READ ALSO: Managers must establish sexual relationships with female artistes to succeed- Bulldog
YEN is building a platform where Ghanaians can share local news and own experiences with each other. Witnessing an incident? Want to tell about a local problem? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Send us a message via YEN’s official Facebook page