The Ghana Music Industry has been a vibrant one this year. No doubt about that.
What make it such are the wild entrants made by some young musicians-new and old members of the industry alike.
Ghanaians can’t forget the “One Corner” song and dance craze that rocked the nation some few weeks ago. Even now, some people are still jamming to it.
Some would also not forget the song Jeniffer Lomotey, which brought tension on the singer from Kroboland.
How is it possible that the female dancehall diva, Ebony would not be mentioned?
Here, YEN brings you 7 young musicians who shook the GHANA music industry like an earthquake.
1. Ebony: Ebony undoubtedly made the headlines more than any other young artistes in 2017. She and her senior dancehall colleague, Shatta Wale were widely reported on this year.
Pricilla Opoku-Agyemang Agyeman, also known as Ebony made headlines with the “provocative” attire she wore to perform at the 4Syte Music video Awards. Again, she came under huge criticism for a blue dress she wore which laid bare her private part. In plain terms, she was pant-less in that clothe.
However, Ebony has really worked hard this year. And she has tipped herself as the best candidate to win the ‘Artiste of the Year’ award in 2018 Ghana Music Awards.
All of Ebony’s 2017 releases from “Sponsor”, “Date your father” “Poison”, “Hustle” are smash hits. Her latest gospel song “Aseda is currently making super hit on the airwaves.
Ebony has also released “Maame Hw3, a song to campaign against domestic violence, particularly against women.
Despite her enormous achievements, Ebony has also received a lot of backlashes from Ghanaians.
In that while she is being praised for her talent, she was also being whipped with words for what has been described as indecent exposure on her part.
Nevertheless, Ebony still remains a dancehall goddess. She is doing very well and YEN wishes her all the best in the coming year and all her endeavours.
2. Patapaa: “Wo bete dweee, one corner one corner..” How could one forget this song which is loved and patronized massively by Ghanaians?
Most entertainment pundits said there is no sense in the song, but do Ghanaians always care about sense before endorsing a piece of music? Obviously no! Rhythm also counts and that was what made Patapaa’s One Corner a good hit in 2017 and himself a star.
Real name Justice Amoah, Patapaa’s One corner travelled all across Africa. And even now, reports indicate that it is amongst top three most search song in Nigeria.
When musicians who made top hit songs in 2017, Patapaa would definitely have his name mentioned.
3. Kuame Eugene: Born Eugene Marfo, Kuame Eugene has also made a giant leap into the music industry with the release of his love song “Angela”. This came after his contesting in the 2016 MTN hit maker. The Angela hit maker has himself confessed that he least expected the song to be a hit like it has become.
He also said his own rise in the music industry surprises him because he had no idea he was going to be relevant to the industry owing to the challenges he faced when he was trying to establish himself.
According to Kuame Eugene, people mocked him when he told them he wanted to become a popular musician. Even when he was rehearsing, he was told to keep quiet because he is making noise. Today his danceable tune Angela gets everyone nodding when it’s being played.
4. Mz Vee: Mz Vee is another sensational female musician. She is noted for her super hit song “Natural Girl” after her debut “Borkor Borkor”.
Real name Vera Hamenoo-Kpodo, She went on to reveal “Say My Name” which also is doing well on the airwaves.
Mz Vee is on record for saying that he would choose money over character in search of a husband.
She was quoted by YEN.com.gh as saying “If my man has 30 billion, that’s all that matters not the character.”
Despite her wild requirements for a man, Mz Vee remains a beautiful Ghanaian music star and Ghanaians love her.
5. Kidi: Known in real life as Dennis Nana Dwamena and winner of MTN hit maker in 2015. He took the Ghana music industry by a storm when he released his hit single “Odor”.
In the song ‘Odor’, Kidi professed an undying love for his imaginary lover.
He went on to say that he could even die for his lover because of the love he has for her. But pundits have jabbed him over that portion of the lyrics because they think it is unwise to say or do such a thing.
Kidi’s ‘Odor’ travelled across Africa and landed heavily in Nigeria. At the moment, Nigeria superstar Davido, has collaborated with Kidi for a remix of his song “Odor”. Mayorkun, another Nigerian superstar is also featured in that remix.
6. Kurl Songx: After the release of “Jennifer Lomotey, Kurl Songx felt some heat from the people of Krobo for accounting to them, projecting them in a bad light.
Jeniffer Lomotey which features the Ghanaian ‘Highest’ musician Sarkodie went viral. A rap portion by Sarkodie said Krobo women are promiscuous.
Kurl Songx confessed that the pressure from the Krobo people to edit that part out from his hit song really frustrated him. Kurl Songx was the winner of 2016 MTN hit maker.
7. Adina: The silky voice singer Adina is also highly cheerished by Ghanaian music lovers. Adina won the vocalist of the year at the 2017 Ghana Music Awards.
Adina, born Thembi Ndamse’s ‘Too Late’ was everywhere. It was particularly enjoyed by ladies who had issues with their relationships.
Adina is also noted for her impeccable performances at events. “Too late” really earned her a place in the heart of Ghanaian music lovers.
Want to be featured on YEN? Get interactive via our Facebook page