- German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier said there are over 35,000 Gambian migrants in Germany
- He said 1,500 out of them are without documentation
- He confirmed that the 1,500 undocumented migrants will be deported soon
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier has confirmed a total of 1,500 Gambians who landed in Germany without documentation will be deported..
This was revealed at a joint news conference in Banjul held on Friday, December 15, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
YEN.com.gh gathered that Steinmeier said this during his official visit to the West African country that emerged from a tense political standoff early this year.
READ ALSO: 11 footballers who got married in 2017
“There are over 35,000 Gambian migrants in Germany, out of whom 1,500 are undocumented and awaiting deportation,’’ Steinmeier said at a joint press conference with Gambian President Adama Barrow in Banjul.
Steinmeier said the two countries will bring technical experts to work on the problem, including providing skill training to Gambians.
He said: “Europeans do not have answers to Africa’s problems, the problems need African solutions.’’
Steinmeier arrived in Banjul on Wednesday, December 13, on a one-day whirlwind visit.
He was the first European head of state to visit Gambia since Barrow assumed office after winning the presidential election.
It was a tense transition with the defeated long-time leader Yahya Jammeh initially refusing to step down.
Jammeh left the country only in January after neighbouring Senegal sent troops to enforce the election result.
Yen.com.gh previously reported that Gambian President Adama Barrow finally relocated to the official residence in Banjul after 10 months.
Africanews.com reports that President Barrow moved to the housing complex known as “State House” which was previously occupied by former leader Yahya Jammeh over the weekend.
Since Jammeh left office, there had been different reports stating that there were stash of arms and chemical weapons hidden which made the premises to be deemed unfit for Barrow.
The ECOWAS regional force took over the building at a point to ensure its safety before the relevant authorities set out to renovate it for President Barrow’s use.