Ghanaian female reggae/dancehall queen Ebony, has become a household name in Ghana.
Arguably, the majority of Ghanaians, if not all have heard about Ebony Reigns and her super hit songs.
However, not many people really know much about the ‘Sponsor’ hit maker’s personality and background.
Against this backdrop, YEN brings you seven crucial facts you never knew about Ebony
1. She is the youngest female musician in Ghana: Ebony Reigns is just twenty years of age.
Judging by her stature, actions and looks, the ‘Date your Father’ hit maker looks more than twenty years. But the truth is she was born on February 16, 1997.
Ebony is also on record as the first female musician to garner over a million views on all her videos released so far – Poison, Sponsor, and ‘Hustle’. She reigns as the youngest, influential and controversial musician Ghanaians have seen in recent times.
2. Ebony has a typical Akan name: Though her stage name sounds more like an American, the star of the moment Ebony, has a typical Akan name just like any other person born and bred in Ghana.
Her real name Pricilla Opoku Agyeman is only kept in her official documents as she makes waves in the music industry with the captivating stage name ‘Ebony Reigns’.
3. Ebony has 9 piercings and 17 tattoos on her body: More than what is immediately seen on her skin, Ebony revealed some time this year that she has 9 piercings and seventeen tattoos all over her body.
She has multiple ear-piercings; also multiple piercings in her naval, on her nose, tongue, eye-brow and probably other unseen parts of her body. Ebony also has 17 tattoos on her body. The most visible ones are seen around her wrist, arms, neck, the back of her waist and stomach area.
4. Her father supports her choice of dressing: Ebony’s choice of dress and grooming has been a bother to the majority of Ghanaians and they have not failed to castigate her over that.
However, her father, Mr. Opoku Agyeman, who happens to be her biggest fan, has no problem with his daughter’s way of dressing.
In fact, the man himself has said that he sometimes picks dresses for her daughter. But he has remained quiet as people criticize Ebony for what they describe as indecent exposure on her part.
Ebony’s father also showed immense support for her daughter’s brand and music career when he featured in the official video of her hit song “Sponsor”.
5. She is a school drop-out: This would come as a big surprise to many fans of the diva. Ebony dropped out of Methodist Girls Senior High School, Mamfe in Koforidua when she was in SHS two.
She stated on the Delay Show few months ago that even though she is a brilliant student, she felt going to school was a waste of time, therefore, she felt she had to drop out to pursue her music.
According to Ebony, she discussed with her father that she wanted to leave school for music. This, her father accepted without any grudge.
Therefore, she stopped the school and later dropped her first single ‘Dance floor’ in 2015.
6. She was raised by a single parent: Ebony, did not have the privilege of living with both parents. She has often told the story of how her mother abandoned her marriage, her father and her other sister and traveled abroad.
Since then Ebony has been raised by her father single-handedly. She stated in an interview that she sees her father as a hero and he is the one behind her success in music.
Attributing factors that eventually turned her into the bad girl as Ebony has claimed to be, the dancehall diva admitted that her mother’s absence in their growing up has affected her attitude towards life.
7. Discovered by Bullet through whatsapp recorded audio: The solid brand of Ebony we see today is the result of the hard work put up by herself and manager, Bullet.
Bullet has narrated how she discovered Ebony through a whatsapp audio. According to him, he once received a whatsapp message which contained a recorded audio from an unknown number.
He listened to the audio and that was when he realized Ebony’s captivating voice.
The two linked up from there and are still working hard together to ensure that Ebony reaches the heights she is aiming at.
Want to be featured on YEN? Get interactive via our Facebook page.