- Names of all MPs who constantly absent themselves from parliament have been released
- Civil society is calling for all MPs to be sanctioned
A report by civil society group, Odekro, has revealed how so many parliamentarians including top ministers are constantly absenting themselves from parliament.
The report, which was conducted using the register of parliament, tells how often these ministers fail to attend proceedings in the house.
It has been shown that all such parliamentarians did not just breach the laws of parliament but also fail to explain to the minister the reason(s) for the absence.
According to the report, outlined the ministers as below:
1. Minister for foreign affairs, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey
2. Minister for health, Kweku Agyemang-Manu
3. Minister for communications, Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
4. Education minister, Dr Mathew Opoku Prempeh
5. Works and housing minister, Samuel Atta Akyea
6. Minister for regional reorganisation, Dan Botwe
7. Railways development minister, Joe Ghartey
8. Defence minister, Dominic Nitiwul
9. Interior minister, Ambrose Dery
Meanwhile, the civil society is calling for all the above absentee ministers to be sanctioned by the Speaker of Parliament over the conduct.
This development also resurrects debates on the need for ministers to also be members of parliament. This is because most of the ministerial appointees double as parliamentarians.
YEN.com.gh is building a platform where Ghanaians can share local news and own experiences with each other.
Witnessing an incident? Want to tell about a local problem? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Message us on Facebook now.