Farmer, 64, dies after eating 'poisonous' fish, 6 others hospitalised

Farmer, 64, dies after eating 'poisonous' fish, 6 others hospitalised

-A farmer at Nkonya has died after consuming a poisonous fish

-Six others who ate the same meal have been hospitalised

Click here for the latest news in Ghana

A 64-year-old farmer at Nkonya in the Biakoye District of the Volta Region has died after eating a meal prepared with pufferfish.

A pufferfish is known to be 1,200 times deadlier than cyanide

The deceased, Eric Sidu, is reported to have started shaking uncontrollably a few moments after consuming the food and was rushed to the Kpando Margret Marquart Catholic Hospital but he was pronounced dead on arrival.

READ ALSO: 11 photos that prove GTV does not deserve TV licence fees

Six other members of his family including his daughter, son, son in-law and three grandchildren, who ate the same meal fell sick and are on admission at the hospital.

The daughter, Ms Mavis Sidu, who according to GNA is responding to treatment, recounted the incident to the Biakoye District Chief Executive, Ms Comfort Attah, on her hospital bed when she visited to find out how they were doing.

READ ALSO: 7 Owusu Bempah 2018 prophecies that have struck Ghanaians with deadly fear

This is not the first time such incident has happened in the area.

Last year, four people reportedly died at Alavanyo, a neighbouring town, after eating food prepared with puffer fish which is locally known as “Gedde”.

The pufferfish is known to be one of the most poisonous fishes around. It contains tetrodotoxin which is said to be up to 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide making it toxic enough to kill 30 humans and there is no known antidote.

READ ALSO: Ladies with stretch marks, bleached skin not wanted - Immigration PRO reveals

Your stories and photos are always welcome.

Send us a message via our official Facebook page to get it published on


Online view pixel