Who isn't familiar with a meat pie? One of the most common fast foods right now? We can’t rate it all that healthy but it is totally worth that lunch or even that date if you are obsessed. It is also not hard to make your own pie at home.
Meat pie ingredients:
- 2 peppers (Poblano) well seeded and chopped.
- Desired number of frozen unbaked Rhodes rolls.
- Eggs for the egg wash.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- 1 onion
- 1.5 kg of finely minced beef(depends though on the quantity of pies preferred)
- 4-5 tablespoons of ground tomatoes(paste)
- ½ cup of fresh parsley
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin and chili powder.
- All-purpose flour, well knead (you can mix with eggs if you want) for rolling.
Now that we have the ingredients, which by the way, are easy to obtain, we can look at the meat pie recipe. Notable too is that most spices are optional and you can either add or subtract to your taste.
Meat pie recipe
After obtaining and preparing the ingredients, you can prepare the pie, beginning as follows;
- For the crust, keep the kneaded rolls under a baking sheet and let it thaw for 4 hours.
- To fill, add the oil to a skillet and medium heat it.Cook the pepper and onion to soften then add garlic (again, if preferred) to the mixture and cook for about another minute. Remove and let it cool aside in another bowl.
- Put the previously used large skillet and cook the beef over medium heat to break any large lumps
- Add the chili powder and cumin to the beef.3/4 teaspoon of salt is added too and cook till the meat turns brown.
- Add ¼ cup of water to the meat and the tomato paste. Stir and cook to obtain a well-combined mixture.
- Let the meat cool aside and add the parsley. Add it to the previously cooked vegetables.
- Pre-heat the meat in an oven to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes.
We now have our pie filling. I hope we are good to that point. For the rolling;
- Roll each of the above dinner rolls to you desired size and shape on a lightly floured surface (the thinner about ¼ an inch the better. For shape, circular is the best).
- Put 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture at the center of each roll.
- Apply egg wash at the edges of each roll and fold to obtain your desired shape of the meat pie (friendly advise; be creative with the shape)
- Fold and press the edges and add another touch of egg wash on top of the fold.
- Bake the rolls for up to 12 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- Serve when hot with fruit juice or coffee.
What an easy recipe for meat pies! The total approximate time of the preparation of the pie is about 2 ½ hours. How nice to try it out for lunch or better still, impress your date on a home visit?
How to make a meat pie
This question is not uncommon among many Africans. This however is not hard. As we have seen above, the meat pie is easy to make. So easy. However making a meat pie differs across diverse cultures in the continent. I know you wonder how. Well, meat pie preparation is mostly dependent on the spices because all other ingredients are basic. Here is where the difference comes in.One spice used in East Africa may not be accepted in West Africa and vice versa. Hence, this brings a difference in the meat pie recipes.
The meat recipe in Ghana for example doesn’t marry our above procedure. A recent post termed Ghanaians meat pie enthusiasts so much that it may find its way to the staple food table. Funny right? But what does this mean? Based on the post, they have no specific recipe for the pie but add what is appropriate at the time. To them, meat pie spices are not that essential since additions like margarine and butter are just perfect in their case.
Meat pies have got nutritional value, beating stereotypes against fast foods. The vegetable oil lacks cholesterol and aids a lot in heart functioning. Spices too in considerable amounts help the kidney functioning.
Why not be a meat pie enthusiast right now? It doesn’t harm to fall in love with this dough masterpiece.