Who does not love pizza? I do. In fact so much that you can call me a pizza enthusiast. How the spices and ingredients mix and blend, and the taste inside your mouth. Wow.
It is of Italian origin, but we Africans have added on our ingredients too to make our fantastic dough piece that can blow you off across restaurants continent-wide. The good thing is also that it can easily be made from the comfort of your own home. So how do we prepare pizza?
Pizza preparation is not hard at all. It requires a deal of steps and ingredients yes but still, it is not hard at all. To start us off, lets learn how make pizza bases.According to experts, the base is done in three simple steps;
- Place the flour, 1 tablespoon salt and yeast(if you are yeast tolerant) to a large bowl and stir adding water(maximum 500ml)and oil.
- Bring the dough to room temperature and oven heat it to about 220C.
- Roll out each piece into the normal pizza shape and put into baking sheets.
The base made, we can move on to the bread which is more or less the same. To make pizza bread;
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F (250C) while in bowl mix yeast, flour and sugar in warm water.
- Stir and beat in salt and oil until smooth.
- Turn the dough on light surface covered in flour and knead to the desired pizza dough shape.
Now that we have the base and bread, how about we look at the ingredients? To make pizza ingredients;
- Warm 2 cups of water to about 105F-115F.
- Obtain and dry 2 ½ teaspoons of yeast.
- 2 Teaspoons of salt
- 2 sugar teaspoons
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- 5 cup of flour, finely ground(though this is already covered in the pizza bread above)
READ ALSO:How to make kokonte and groundnut soup
No pizza can have its name without a great sauce to paste and color it with. Since the sauces differ, here is a simple classic example of a pizza sauce;
- Mix in the right proportions the garlic, parsley, oregano sauce, basil, water and onions.
- Over medium heat, boil the mixture.
- Reduce the heat leaving the mixture to simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Now let the mixture cool.
This mixture can be applied to the bread together with other desired toppings. The way to make a pizza can now solely depend on how well we follow the pizza recipe. Here it is;
- Pizza stone (recommended for crusty pizza)
- Pizza wheel (for cutting and is easier to handle than the knife)
- The already knead and self-raised dough (bread or base as above)
- Cornmeal(used for sliding pizza to pizza stone)
- Olive oil
- Tomato sauce (pureed or even paste)
Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, finely chopped Italian sausage, Feta cheese, Crumbled mushrooms, Pepperoni, thinly sliced onions, thinly sliced ham, chopped fresh basil pesto and thinly sliced bell peppers.
Since we have already seen how to make the bread and the sauce, let us go straight to the actual pizza making process.
- Knead the dough to your desirable size and thickness.
- Add 1/3 cup of the tomato puree and cheese to the dough and spread well
- Brush the top of the dough with the olive oil to prevent sogginess of the already topped dough. Leave for about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pizza peel with corn meal(acts as bearing to enable easy slide of the pizza into the oven)
- Move the pizza onto the peel and reshape the dough if shape is lost.
- Retop the pizza with desired toppings among the above ingredients(and more if loved)
- Transfer to the oven and bake the pizza till crust turns brown.
READ ALSO:Best Ghanaian dishes for supper
This recipe is not however tied. You can make pizza recipes and use them to your own advantage. You cannot dispute that preparing a pizza cannot be any easier. From making preparing pizza bases to making pizzas in ovens the steps cannot be simpler to follow and prepare.
So prepare pizza for your family and friends. What can possibly go wrong too by cementing that relationship with a good Ronny(pepperoni)topped pizza? As an enthusiast, I strongly recommend this, ands see how it will go out for you.