Bambara Beans Ghana, originated from Ghana. The beans thrive due to favorable climatic conditions that exist in Ghana. They are related to groundnuts and grow the same way.
They are highly rich in protein. The bean is a legume of the groundnut family. It is used in different ways to make delicacies.
Bambara Beans Recipe
It can be pounded into flour and used in baking cakes and even in drinks. Many people have come up with different styles of incorporating this highly nutritional ingredient into their healthy diets. It can also be boiled and incorporated into any stew of your liking.
- 2 cups dried Bambara beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 clove ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon, curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 lid of the Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt for taste
Preparing Bambara Beans
- Soak the beans overnight to soften them up.
- Boil the beans for close to 20 minutes until they are soft, remove and set aside to cool down.
- Place a lid of extra virgin oil on a hot pan, add onions and stir until they become soft and translucent.
- Add your crushed ginger and garlic paste to the mixture and stir further.
- Add curry powder and stir further until the raw smell of curry powder vaporizes.
- Add your diced tomatoes and tomato paste and cover the pan, let it simmer for a minute to allow all the ingredients to incorporate together.
- Add your previously boiled Bambara beans to the mixture and stir until a thick soup forms.
- Add salt to achieve the desired taste.
- Cover the pan, let the mixture simmer for five minutes.
- Add your coconut milk to the mixture and stir for a while.
- Remove from the heat, and serve while still hot.
Bambara Beans Benefits
The nutritional value of Bambara beans is known by many Ghanaians who use it in their diet. The meal is rich in proteins thus becoming an essential element in the healthy lifestyle of many Ghanaians.
The beans are rich in iron that helps in the circulation of blood in the body. Thus it helps in boosting the blood levels in the body. It is hence appropriate for anemic patients who can utilize this in treating their health condition; lack of blood in the body. It is also vital for children suffering from malnutrition. The beans pack high contents of proteins, carbohydrates, and calories that help in boosting the rapid development of the body.
Are you suffering from lack of sleep? Then you really need to include Bambara beans in your diet. They contain amino acids that stimulate the brain to release a hormone scientifically named serotonin that has been discovered to release stress the body is under. The body goes into a state of calmness hence you are in for a long night full of sleep. It’s a remedy for most insomniac patients.
It also reduces the risk of stomach cancer due to its antioxidants properties of fatty acids that prevent the production of carcinogenic substances in the stomach. It deters the corrosion of the carcinogenic substances in the stomach lining hence lowering the risk of stomach cancer.