In Ghana, rice and stew is the staple food of many people. It has been prepared from traditional times using simple methods such as boiling. Over the years, there have been numerous styles of preparing plain rice with stew delicacy.
Many households incorporate different spices into the stew. But the rice and stew recipe is quite simple and universal. You also need to carefully pick the right type of rice before cooking. There are different kinds of rice such as long grain, basmati, biryani and ordinary rice. Each has a different texture that suits your need.
Rice and Stew Recipe
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 1 kg meat, sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons, tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon, curry powder
- 2 beef cubes
- I teaspoon, cumin
- 2 teaspoons, turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic and ginger, grounded
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
READ ALSO: How to prepare fried rice at home
Rice and Stew Preparation
- Add your garlic and ginger paste to the meat. Stir until it coats the meat. Add water and bring to a boil.
- Soak your long grain rice for 15 minutes.
- Once the water has evaporated in the pan with the meat, add your extra virgin oil and fry until they turn crispy brown.
- Add your chopped onions to the fried meat and stir slowly.
- Add your curry powder, cumin, beef cubes and turmeric powder. Cover the pan and let the mixture simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add your diced tomatoes to the mixture. Add the tomato paste to the mixture. Add a little water to prevent the mixture from coating at the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the mixture and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef stock to your desired thickness of the soup.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add 4 cups of water to a pan. Add salt and a little extra virgin oil.
- You can also add lemon juice if its available, it helps make your rice whiter.
- Add your pre-soaked rice to the water and on medium heat bring to a boil.
- As the water level in the rice reduce, cover your pan with aluminum foil and put on low heat to preserve.
- Remove for heat, serve while still hot the plain rice with stew.
You can also add a vegetable salad to the meal in order to make it healthier.
Rice and Stew Nutrition Value
Plain rice is rich in carbohydrates; thus you are provided with enough energy to get you through the day. It also has numerous vitamins that increase the functioning of the brain, increased metabolism results in further release of energy levels to various parts of the organs.
You are also assured of no harmful fats and cholesterol in rice thus prevents obesity. Rice and stew calories are usually low unlike other foods that have high fats and sugars that may trigger cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Rice has also been proven to increase the normal functioning of the nervous system that also helps in the manufacturing of sex hormones n the body.
READ ALSO: How to prepare jollof rice in Ghana