Yams are among the staple foods used in Ghana. It is abundant due to the favorable climatic conditions. It has numerous nutrients and benefits to the body.
Fried Yam Recipes
People use some of the traditional methods in cooking which include simple boiling, but others prefer adding a little art to their yams. Fried yams have become a trend, it is being sold as street food by vendors all across Ghana.
You can also decide to spice up your ordinary yams into deep fried yam sticks. The recipe is quite simple and does not involve a lot of procedures and ingredients. Alternatively, you can settle for fried yam chips to replace your usual treat of potato chips. There are many tricks you can use with yams.
Fried yams is a way of turning the normal procedure of boiling into a fun and inclusive style where you can drop in some of your favorite spices. The procedures are straightforward and within half an hour, you could be enjoying this highly nutritious delicacy.
Fried Yam Chips Recipe
Yams are available in abundance and so are the ingredients for this recipe.
- 1 medium-sized yam, washed and cut into fries
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- 1 egg
- A pinch of salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Place the cut yam fries in a pot. Add water until they are wholly covered and put on high heat and boil for close to 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for about 7-10 minutes.
- Constantly check on the yam fries to ensure they are not too soft since they will ruin the yam fries.
- Put the wheat flour in a bowl. Add the egg and water and whisk the mixture until a thick paste is formed.
- Roll your yam fries through the paste and ensure that all the yam fries have been coated evenly with the flour paste.
- Sprinkle your breadcrumbs on the coated yam fries evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan until it’s really hot enough to fry.
- Add the yam fries one by one into the hot oil. Do not fill the pot with yam fries at once.
- Fry until you see one side turn into a crispy brown color, turn them until all side of the yam fries turns into a golden color.
- Remove the fried yams using a spoon and place on a paper towel so that they can drain the excessive oil dripping off.
- The deep fried yam chips can be served alongside any salad of your liking or with a nice peanut butter gravy or tomato sauce.
Yam Oven Fries
Instead of deep frying them, we can cook them in an oven.
- 1 medium-sized yam, washed and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic and ginger paste
- Salt to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 400-450 degrees.
- In a large bowl add salt, paprika, black pepper, olive oil and the ginger and garlic paste.
- Toss the mixture evenly to ensure the spices coat well.
- Place the yam fries on a baking sheet, leave out some space to turn the fries while baking.
- Bake for close to 10 minutes, using a spatula flip the fries to the other side once they achieve a crispy golden color.
- Sprinkle salt to taste.
The fried yams calories are usually really low; hence they are the best way to help you in your weight loss campaign. They also have Vitamin C that helps in fighting everyday diseases such as cold and flu. It also has a high fiber content that helps prevent constipation.
Fried yam sticks are not only delicious, they also have minerals such as potassium, manganese, iron, and magnesium that help in healthy bone formation. It has also been proven to increase cell repair hence quick wound healing.
READ ALSO How to prepare pancake in Ghana