Yams are one of the more famous foods in Ghana. There are different ways of cooking yams like boiling, roasting, frying, among others. However, to ensure everyone enjoys your meal, you need to be familiar with the best ways to cook fried yam.
Most people use the traditional methods of cooking yams but if you prefer adding a little art to your yams, we have the best fried yam recipes for you.
Fried yam recipes
Frying yams has become a trend, and fried yams are being sold as street food by vendors all across Ghana. One can also decide to spice up their ordinary yams into deep-fried yam sticks. The recipe is quite simple and does not involve a lot of procedures and ingredients.
Alternatively, you can settle for fried yam chips to replace your usual treat of potato chips. There are many tricks you can use with yams. Frying yams is a way of turning the standard procedure of boiling into a fun and inclusive style where you can drop in some of your favourite spices. The procedures are straightforward, and within half an hour, you could be enjoying this highly nutritious delicacy.
Fried yam chips recipe
Yams are available in abundance, and so are the ingredients for this recipe. This recipe illustrates how to prepare chips using yams.
- 1 medium-sized yam, washed and cut into fries
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- 1 egg
- A pinch of salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Place the cut yam fries in a pot. Add water until they are wholly covered and put on high heat and boil for close to 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for about 7-10 minutes.
- Frequently check on the yam fries to ensure they are not too soft since they will ruin the yam fries.
- Put the wheat flour in a bowl. Add the egg and water and whisk the mixture until a thick paste is formed.
- Roll your yam fries through the paste and ensure that all the yam fries have been coated evenly with the flour paste.
- Sprinkle your breadcrumbs on the coated yam fries evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan until it is hot enough to fry.
- Add the yam fries one by one into the hot oil. Do not fill the pot with yam fries at once.
- Fry until you see one side turn into a crispy brown colour, turn them until all sides of the yam fries turn into a golden colour.
- Remove the fried yams using a spoon and place them on a paper towel so that they can drain the excess oil dripping off. The deep-fried yam chips can be served alongside any salad of your liking or with a nice peanut butter gravy or tomato sauce.
Yam oven fries
Instead of deep-frying them, we can cook them in an oven.
- 1 medium-sized yam, washed and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic and ginger paste
- Salt to taste.
READ ALSO: Traditional Ghana food: 15 best recipes
- Preheat the oven to about 400-450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add salt, paprika, black pepper, olive oil, and the ginger and garlic paste. Toss the mixture evenly to ensure the spices coat well.
- Place the yam fries on a baking sheet, leave out some space to turn the fries while baking. Bake for close to 10 minutes, using a spatula flip the fries to the other side once they achieve a crispy golden colour.
- Sprinkle salt to taste.
Spicy fried yam recipe
Spicy fried yams are not only nutritious but also incredibly delicious.
- Yam (Peeled, washed, and cut it into strips)
- Vegetable oil
- ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons of coriander
- 2 tablespoons of Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon black pepper powder
- Add water to a pot, and boil the yam strips till tender
- Dry the yam strips and put them aside
- Take a bowl and add the turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, coriander, Kashmiri red chilli powder, and black pepper powder.
- Add little water to the bowl, so as to create a paste.
- Add the tender yam strips to the bowl and mix gently until well mixed. You can use your washed hands to mix.
- Once well mixed, let them sit for about forty-five minutes to an hour so that the yam can absorb the spices
- Heat vegetable oil, and add your marinated yam strips
- Let them cook until they are golden brown.
What are the health benefits of yams?
Yams have several health benefits. These are:
- They help enhance brain performance.
- They help ease menopause symptoms.
- They have cancer-fighting properties.
- Yams are highly nutritious.
- Yams also promote fertility.
- They improve blood sugar levels.
- They help with weight loss.
- They help prevent constipation.
These are some of the best ways to prepare fried yam at the comfort of your house. Try them and give us your feedback in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: All the information contained in this article is not implied or intended to be a substitute for any professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content including text, images, graphics, and information contained on or available through this page is for general information purposes.
- Best banku and tilapia recipe
- Traditional Ghanaian Jollof Rice Recipe
- How to prepare plain rice and stew in Ghana