Ghana Tom Brown porridge is among the most favoured meals for breakfast on the African continent. Most of its ingredients are common agricultural products that are rampant in Ghana due to the favourable climatic conditions. It is highly recommended for toddlers since it comes with the necessary nutrients to enable them to grow healthy.
Making the Ghana Tom Brown porridge is easy since there are a few steps to follow but getting it all wrong is also a possibility. But don't fret. Everything you need to know is indicated below.
How to prepare Tom Brown porridge
The recipe for making Tom Brown porridge is quite simple. The hard part is accessing the cornflour. Ghana’s Tom Brown porridge is highly popular due to its distinctive brown colour. The process of obtaining the cornflour involves lightly toasting the corn and later grinding it.
Tom Brown porridge recipe
Here are the Tom Brown porridge ingredients and steps to follow:
- 2 cups of roasted corn flour (Tom Brown)
- A glass of milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- A pinch of ginger powder
- Golden honey or 2 tablespoons of sugar
READ ALSO: Top 12 delicious Ghanaian food recipes for any occasion
- Add the cornflour to milk and some cold water to form a smooth mixture.
- Stir well until a thick paste is formed.
- After confirming the mixture has no lumps, it is ready to cook.
- Boil water in a pot. Add the paste slowly when it starts simmering while stirring evenly till it thickens up.
- For a spicy taste, add some cayenne and cinnamon to the paste.
- Add some sugar or honey and stir consistently. Taste and mix in.
- When the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and continue stirring.
- Give it at least 10 minutes to cook.
- Serve while still hot.
READ ALSO: Best fried yam recipe Ghana
Key points to keep in mind
- You can add water if you would like your Tom Brown porridge to be thinner.
- Likewise, add some cornflour if you like your Tom Brown porridge thicker.
- It is best to stir the mixture continuously to prevent any formation of lumps.
Most asked questions about Ghana Tom Brown porridge:
Is it good to eat porridge every day?
The intake of this type of porridge daily stabilizes the blood sugar levels. This reduces attacks against the body enhancing your system at the end of the day.
Is Tom Brown porridge healthy?
It has been confirmed that the Ghana Tom Brown porridge is healthy and recommended to all including the young and the old. If possible, it is best to ensure you eat some porridge a few times a week.
The Ghana Tom Brown porridge is not only pocket-friendly but also nutritious and delicious for everyone. Try the recipe and give your taste buds a treat.
READ ALSO: Bambara beans - Recipes, health benefits and other facts you need to know