What is Tom Brown porridge? It is a popular porridge in Ghana made of cornflakes. Most of the Tom Brown porridge ingredients are common agricultural products that are rampant in Ghana due to the favorable climatic conditions.
How to Prepare Tom Brown Porridge?
The recipe for making Tom Brown porridge is quite simple. The hard part is accessing the corn flour. Ghana’s Tom Brown porridge is highly popular due its distinctive brown color. The process of obtaining the corn flour involves lightly toasting the corn and later grinding it. It is highly nutritious especially for growing babies and also adults. It is packed with a lot of nutrients that are essential for the general development of the body.
Tom Brown Porridge Recipe
- 2 cups of roasted corn flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- A pinch of Ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the corn flour in cold water and stir well until a thick paste is formed.
- Boil water in a pot. Add the paste slowly while stirring evenly to prevent any lumps forming.
- Continue stirring the mixture to prevent any formation of lumps.
- Add your cinnamon, cayenne, ginger powder and sugar and stir consistently.
- When the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and continue stirring. If you have a whisk it will save you the time and effort.
- You can add water in case you like your Tom brown porridge to be thinner.
- Serve while still hot.
READ ALSO: How to Prepare Chicken Sauce for Rice in Ghana :
The high nutrition of Tom Brown’s porridge makes its most popular specially to weaning babies. It has a high content of minerals such as calcium and phosphorus which helps in the strong bone formation of your baby. It also irons which has been scientifically proven to increase the metabolism of the body and nourishing of red blood cells.
It has a high fiber content. This helps fast digestion of food of the baby. It also prevents the occurrence of constipation. It has been proven to reduce high cholesterol in the body. Hence its helps reduce cases of heart diseases and strokes. It has a low calories content so it’s quite essential in helping lose weight.
Eating Tom Brown’s porridge on a daily basis also stabilizes the blood sugar levels in the body. It prevents the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. The high fiber content in the porridge helps in the slow absorption of sugar. This means that the level of blood-glucose in the body will be cut down.
READ ALSO: How to prepare plain rice and stew in Ghana