Yam balls make a delicious snack that Ghanaians have unanimously embraced. This article includes pictures showing how one can cook the famous yam balls and how to make the modern yam balls. It has a crunchy feel that is very appetizing.
Yams are known to be a staple food in Ghana. There are sold at a very affordable price. Trying the two different ways provided in the article to make the yam balls, will help that Ghanaian who is in love with a tasteful and delicious snack.
Yam balls recipe African
The famous yam balls are very easy to prepare. Follow the steps keenly to give you pleasing results. Here is the Famous Yam balls recipe.
- 3 Cans yams
- I can of yams that are crushed and drained with pineapple
- The first step is mixing the yams, brown sugar, and pineapple together.
- Make balls with the mixture and put a marshmallow in the middle of your balls.
- Roll the balls with marshmallow in coconut placing them in a buttered dish. Bake your balls for about 20 minutes, 365 degrees.
Making Modern Yam Balls Recipes
This is what you need for the modern yam balls recipe.
- 1 kg yam
- Water to boil
- Salt to taste
- 100gms butter/margarine
- Corned beef
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 chopped onions
- Vegetable oil
- Seasonal cube
- ½ tbsp, finely chopped coriander (optional)
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 chopped tomatoes.
- Dried thyme
- Pinch of ground white pepper
How to Prepare Modern Yam balls in Ghana
- Peel and dice your yams into cubes.
- Boil the diced yams in salted water until tender for approximately 30 minutes.
- Drain the salted water
- Mash the tender yams while still hot.
- Add egg York, butter or margarine, white pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, seasonal cube, and paprika.
- Mould your mixture into balls with coriander, corned beef, dried thymes and your chopped onions and tomatoes to taste if desired.
- Roll the balls into the remaining egg and seasoned flour.
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry your yam balls until they turn golden brown
- Use a kitchen paper to drain the yam balls while placing them warm.
Serve while still hot. When you finish cooking, you can serve with ‘Pepe’, which is a blended mixture of tomatoes, onions, and scotch bonnet with a pinch of salt) on a platter.