In recent times, celebrity marriages in Ghana seem to be hitting the rock and people are wondering what is actually happening.
This brings to mind the likes of Chris Attoh and his ex- Nigerian wife, Damilola Adegbite, Elikem and Pokello, Afia Schwarzenegger, and others.
But of all the break ups, the one that got most tongues wagging is that of Afia Schwarzenegger and her 'ex-husband', Lawrence Abrokwa.
In November last year, the center couldn’t hold in their marriage and the controversies surrounding it were so enormous.
YEN.com.gh brings you 6 revelations by Afia Schwarzenegger that has really gotten a lot of single people scared to even think about marriage.
1. Physical abuse: According to Afia Schwarzenegger, Abrokwa had been in the habit of physically and verbally assaulting her before and after their wedding.
The stunning part was when Afia revealed that just three days to their wedding, Abrokwa beat her and her physically challenged mother. But she ignored all these warning signs that Abrokwa “was not a good man” and went ahead to marry him.
2. Dependence: According to Afia Schwarzenegger, Abrokwa heavily depended her on before and after their marriage. What is more, Afia claims her 'jobless ex-husband' was also stealing from her from time to time.
But anytime she asked him about it, he would deny and sometimes beat her up.
In this time of economic hardship, it would be a very serious thing to marry a man who is jobless and who depends on you for his every need.
3. Wedding loan: Well, another scary thing Afia Schwarzenegger has revealed about her failed marriage with Abrokwa is the claim that she financed their wedding, not with money she or they both had saved, but interestingly a loan from the bank!
According to the Ghanaian custom and tradition, men are responsible for footing marriage bills. But in this case, Afia took it upon herself to finance the marriage with a borrowed money, and this is a serious thing.
4. Abrokwa burning her house: Another revelation Afia has made is that Lawrence Abrokwa tried to burn down her house on three occasions.
She claims she owns the house all by herself without Abrokwa’s pesewa. He had threatened and in fact, attempted burning down the house but someway somehow, he failed to do so.
5. Paying off prostitutes: Now this is scarier! According to Afia, she had often paid off some prostitutes Abrokwa patronized but couldn’t raise money to pay for their services.
Afia’s claims mean that Abrokwa was cheating on her, and having extra marital affairs not with ordinary women but with commercial sex workers.
In today’s world, which woman would look on as her husband sleeps with with other women, and more seriously prostitutes and later pay them off? It is a serious thing indeed.
READ ALSO: Kuami Eugene shows off his brand new car
6. 9-month duration of marriage: Well, it is the dream of everyone who marries to live forever with their partners, if that were possible. No one would wish that their marriage lasts a short time.
But in the case of Afia Schwarzenegger, her marriage lasted 9-months, meaning she couldn’t even celebrate one year anniversary of marriage.
These revelations by Afia Schwarzenegger are enough to make some people shy away or simply forget about marriage.
She recently launched her foundation The Leave2Live Foundation which has the aim of exposing domestic abuse in marriage and also providing support for victims.
Afia Schwarzenegger has urged women who face spousal abuse to speak up and reach for support.
To her, forsaking an abusive marriage is the best way of regaining one’s self-respect and preparing for a better future especially when they are children.
Meanwhile, she is still battling Abrokwa in court over many charges including theft.
YEN remembers the beautiful life of dancehall diva Ebony Reigns with this video below:
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page