The Bofrot is also known as the Ghanaian doughnut, other local names that have been given to the doughnut are Togbei and 'Boflot.' Many people in Ghana use the Ghanaian Bofrot recipe is making this nutritious breakfast snack. The Bofrot can be enjoyed with other meals like the millet porridge or cornmeal. The recipe of Bofrot allows you to enjoy two variations of this Ghanaian doughnut. We have the dry Bofrot, which is made using bread mix, and then there are other many variations of the dry Bofrot recipe.
Below we want to give you tips on how to make the best Ghanaian Bofrot after following this Ghanaian Bofrot recipe.
Ingredients for Bofrot
- 225g of plain flour
- 150ml of warm water
- 50g of butter
- One teaspoon full of yeast
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- Half a teaspoon full vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- Four teaspoons of sugar
- One free range egg, beaten
- A pinch of salt
- 1-liter Sunflower oil for deep frying
- The first step in making the Ghanaian Bofrot is to add yeast and half sugar to warm water in a bowl. You have the option of following Bofrot recipe no yeast, for those who do not want to use yeast. Leave the mixture for 15 minutes. The pace should be warm. Wait until the mixture foams. Add the remaining sugar and vanilla paste.
- Sift the flour, nutmeg, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Create a small well at the center of the mix then slowly add your flavored yeast warm solution.
- Add the melted butter to the flour mix. Add beaten eggs and yeast mixture into the flour mix.
- Carefully make sure everything is mixed, and the paste has no lumps.
- Carefully keep the mixture in a warm place after carefully covering it with a cling film or a damp cloth. Let it rest for 60 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
- Pour your cooking oil in a deep pan and place it on a medium heat (to prevent getting undercooked and crispy looking doughnuts.
- Use your hands or a tablespoon to spoon the mixture and place it into the cooking oil. Avoid overloading the oil as this will lead to the temperature drop, and then your doughnuts will be filled with the cooking oil.
- Once they have turned to golden brown, remove your Bofrot from the cooking oil carefully.
The cuisine Bofrot can be made in many variations. The Bofrot recipe is straightforward. The Bofrot doughnut recipe variations include Bofrot recipe using chocolate ganaché with hazelnuts or pistachio. One your Ghanaian Bofrot snack is ready you can serve with your favorite beverage.