On Tuesday, March 6, 2018, the government and people of Ghana celebrated the 61st Independence of nationhood.
The occasion, as had been the norm since the very first Independence Day celebration, witnessed the parade of school children all over the country.
The ceremony has also attracted some reactions from the public, especially as some people think Ghana needs not celebrate independence because there are many issues that have bedeviled the nation which need to be addressed first.
Some say the chronic graduate unemployment, poor security in the state, increased lawlessness in the country seems to draw the nation back, therefore, there is no need to celebrate the special day.
Another issue that has come up after the Independence Day celebration is a comment made by President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari.
In his speech, President Buhari declared his willingness to help President Akufo-Addo fight corruption in Ghana.
But he has been ridiculed for his comment, because Ghanaians and even Nigerians think President Buhari must first concentrate on fighting corruption in Nigeria before looking to do so in Ghana.
Despite the brouhahas that have surrounded the 61st Independence Day celebration, there were also some entertaining aspects of it.
Some Ghanaian celebrities and dignitaries including former First Lady Lordina Mahama, Akumaa Mama Zimbi, actresses Benedicta Gafah, Moesha Boduong, and others released some extraordinary photos to mark the day.
Here, YEN.com.gh brings you some of the photos by our cherished celebrities.
1. Mrs. Lordina Mahama: Interestingly, Ghana’s Independence Day also marks the former First Lady’s birthday. Yesterday, she turned fifty-five (55) years. Mrs. Mahama released a beautiful photo of herself clad in our local Kente to mark her birthday and Independence Day. She looked really beautiful and youthful.
2. Akumaa Mama Zimbi: The popular media personality was in her element yesterday to observe the Independence Day celebration. Mama Zimbi released a stunning photo of herself, not leaving out her ‘satellite dish-like’ headgear which she has been long known for.
3. Moesha Boduong: The actress was not left out in the Ghana@61 Independence Day celebration. Moesha took the whole celebration to a new level as she released a ‘surprising’ photo of herself with just a cloth with the colours of the Ghana flag hanging loosely over her body at the beach.
4. Vivian Jill: The top Kumawood actress was also not left out of the game. She released a hot photo of herself with a headgear made with the Ghana flag.
5. Benedicta Gafah: The fast-rising actress also released a purely local photo of herself clad in Kente. She looked beautiful and really African in her locally manufactured but internationally acclaimed Kente cloth.
6. Victoria Lebene: Lebene was the young lady who sometime ago was in the news for dating veteran actor Kofi Adjorlolo. Victoria also released a painted photo of herself in a purely African setting. She is captured clad in African print and preparing local dish Banku. What a stylish way to celebrate Ghana’s Independence.
Take a look at YEN.com.gh's 5 top impressive insults by Ghanaian politicians:
Do you have similar Independence Day photos for publication?
Do you know anyone who deserves recognition?
Your stories and photos are welcome.
Get interactive via our Facebook page.