Dv lottery, the annual phenomena, has always had a lot of people around the world excited and eager. Popularly known as green card lottery, attracts millions of participants worldwide every single year. Dv lottery 2020 registration might be to some, the opportunity that they have been waiting for, but for some it might be the case of dashed dreams.
This is one of the ways people who are ineligible to be offered a United States Visa get the opportunity to get one. To some, it only takes one application and for some, it takes them several applications and for others, it never goes their way no matter how many times they try.
What is this lottery? How does it work? Let us look at the details of the lottery, including what it entails, how to apply and how to also check the status of your DV lottery application.
How is DV lottery an opportunity?
Do you know the importance of the DV lottery? To appreciate its importance, let us first look at how you can get a United States Visa. Apart from the DV lottery, these are the other ways to get a United States Visa;
- If you are a relative of an immediate US citizen – For this category, it is only the immediate relatives that can be considered i.e. a Parent of a US citizen (the child should be above 21 years old), a child of a US citizen (the child should be above the age of 21 years) and spouses of a US citizen.
- Other family members – there are certain categories of family members that are awarded green cards. The total numbers of people I these categories to be awarded total 480,000 every year.
- There are employees offered green card every year – if you have a skill that is on demand in the United States, or a prospective investor willing to invest a minimum of 1 million dollars in a business or $500,000 in an isolated area in the united states then you can be one of the 140,000 people who are offered green cards for employment purposes.
Looking at the above mentioned categories, it seems like getting a green card to live, work and study in the United States is a strenuous and mostly unsuccessful activity. This is because, this categorization makes the number of people offered green card every year to be dismal as compared to the people who apply for them. This is not to say that people in the above categories don’t apply
This is where the DV lottery becomes important. The number of people applying for green cards increases every year, and this earns there will be a backlog of applications. This results in major delays and in most cases giving up. In some countries, people are known to wait for more than 10 or 20 years to get considered for US citizenship. Why wait for 20 years and the DV lottery is the easier option?
What are the downsides of the DV lottery?
Winning the diversity visa (DV) lottery is not very easy. It is a gamble that in most cases seems like it is meant to disfavor certain applicants. One of the categories is the applicants who come from the parts of the world that sends a lot of immigrants to the United States. There are some countries that are “blacklisted” and the people from those countries cannot participate in the program.
Some people ask the question, if I “win” the lottery, does it mean that I automatically get approved for the green card? The simple answer is NO. Winning the lottery simply means that you have passed the selection process of the people who might be considered to be given a green card.
This is how the Lottery works to peoples disadvantages; every year, the US department of State selects more applicants than the available slots. This therefore means that not all the winners are automatically given the green cards; in fact no one is given the green cards automatically.
The issuance process is also detrimental to people and this is the reason why most people win the lottery and are not awarded visas. The first priority is given to the people who come from the regions that were given the first chance apply for the visa.
Apart from this, the persons from regions that attract lower numbers to the US get the first pick and this means that their family members who also automatically become eligible take up some of the slots. So, applicants from regions that draw high numbers of people to the US get the last picks. This can result to the slots being exhausted even before you get to apply for the green card.
There is a rule that all processing of the lottery details and everything that is involved in the process be dome after the completion of that fiscal year. The fiscal year ends on September 30th. This means that no green card can be issued after the end of the fiscal year regardless of the fact that it might have been delayed because of technicalities that you had no control of. The technicalities might include;
- The fingerprint not being taken on time
- The interview date was delayed
Who is eligible to apply for the diversity visa lottery?
The first and most important consideration is that it is only foreigners who are not born in the United States who can apply for this program. The rate of immigration to the United States by people from the specific countries should be low for one to be considered. DV lottery 2020 says a couple of countries excluded from the lottery due to various reasons, one of them being the rate of immigration by people of the specific countries.
While you still analyze if you are eligible for the diversity visa lottery, you can check out the Ghana lottery where everyone can apply. It is easy to apply, play, and win. All you need is your smartphone, and you are good to go.
What are the things you have to consider before applying for the DV lottery?
After you have “won” the lottery, what else comes after? Before applying for the lottery, you have to possess some requirements that will be advantageous for you in case you get approved to apply for a green card. For you to successfully apply and get a US visa using the lottery, you have to possess enough qualifications to be able to find employment in the United States. Although this happens after you have been selected as a successful lottery winner, it is important you know it beforehand.
The education and work requirements needed are either;
- A high school diploma. In case you do not have one, ensure that you have proof of completion of elementary education and subsequently high school education that lasted 12 years) or
- A work experience of 2 years in a field that has a minimum training period of 2 years.
These evidences are required by the US officials. In the case where you apply for the lottery in a foreign country (that is not the United States), you will have to carry the required relevant documents with you when you get to the consulate in your country. For people already living in the US, they will have to present t in the office of Us Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). For education documents, ensure you carry the original for examination and approval and for the employed persons.
DV lottery 2020 registration period
The program ran for a period of about one month. It was slated to start on Tuesday, 3rd October 2017 and ended in Tuesday, 7th November 2017. In this particular year, the numbers of slots available totaled 55,000.people were able to access the DV lottery 2019 application form online
It is important you know that you only have one chance to apply for the lottery. People who apply twice in one fiscal year will be held ineligible and their application will be automatically canceled.
Apart from the DV lottery, the Ghana lottery is another lottery you should consider. It is quite easy to register and to play. The best part about the Ghana lottery is that more people get to win cash rewards everyday. Check it out here.
DV lottery 2020 eligible countries
Every time the DV lottery program begins, the DOS gives a list of countries that are ineligible for the lottery in that particular year. In 2020, the ineligible countries were
- China (mainland-born)
- Dominican republic
- El Salvador
- South Korea
- United kingdom (except northern Ireland) and its dependent territories
All other persons who are natives of the countries that are not on this list except the natives of the United States were eligible for the DV lottery 2020. You should note that “native” in this context means people who can trace their roots to the specific countries. If you are a native born of a country that is on the list and reside in a country not in the list, you are not eligible to participate in the program. It does not matter if you have acquired the citizenship of the said country.
READ ALSO: How to Apply For Us Visa Online
There are some exceptions for this rule. The exceptions are
- When your spouse a born in a country whose natives are eligible.
- If you were born in an ineligible country but neither of your parents was born in that specific country and they were born in a country whose natives are eligible to apply
DV lottery 2020 registration
The DV lottery 2019 registration was done online and was (always is) free of charge. The DV lottery 2020 registration free status would bring forth many scammers. When you are filling the registration form, you were advised not to seek the help of the so called agents” or “visa consultants”. This is because, this is a form that requires personal and sensitive information and it is advisable you answer those questions yourself to avoid instances where the information provided and the information you have are different thus lading to disqualification of your visa application.
Also, it is advisable that you are the one to retain your confirmation page and confirmation number. This is because lack of this information will lead to you being locked out of the online portal that informs you of your entry status.
After completion of the entry process, you now print the confirmation screen for your personal records.
How do you check your registration status?
It is very important to know that the US Government does not communicate to the applicants directly. The only way to know of your application status is by following these simple steps;
- First you have to visit the online portal
- Click on the “errant status check”
- Enter your unique confirmation number and personal info.
The errant check is important as you get to know if you have been selected as a lottery “winner” and if that is the case, you the can confirm your interview date with the immigration visa department.
It is important to note that the process of confirmation started on May 1st 2018 and it is ongoing.
Requirements when filling the DV lottery application form
These are the requirements of filling the online form as instructed by the United States Government.
- To start, you have to ensure that the browser you are using is one of the new browsers. Old browsers(like the windows explore 8) my provide a difficulty when filling the DV lottery 2020 registration form
- You have to indicate your full names as it is written in your passport. Do not change a thing
- You have to go ahead and provide some personal information including, your gender, your date of birth and the year, the city of birth and the country of birth.
- You are then required to provide a recent photograph of yourself, your children and your spouse. Note; people of same sex marriages are eligible to apply as spouses if at the time of their marriage, the union was legal in the eyes of the law of their countries.
- The photographs should not be a group photo. Every individual is supposed to have a separate photo. The photos should be taken within at least six months of the application. It is however not mandatory to take the photograph of a child or spouse who is already a US citizen.
- You are also required to give details of the country you reside in at the time of application.
- You can provide a phone number
- You have to provide an email address. The email address should be active. However, the status of your application will not be sent to you via email. You will only receive notification that your status is now in the “errant status check” and you now have to go check.
- You have to give information regarding your education status marital status and the number of children you have.
- You have to give details about your spouse like; gender, city/town of birth, country of birth and a photograph of the spouse.
- If your spouse is a US citizen, you will not be required to submit their information.
- While giving details of your children, you will include all your natural living children, adopted children and all living step children who are unmarried and are under 21 years old.
One of the simple things that might get your application rejected is the photos you decide to accompany your application with.
The photos must be in focus, with a neutral and light colored background, you should not be wearing glasses or any other items that detract from the face and you should also not wear a hat. However, hats that are worn for religious purposes are allowed but this excludes tribal hats and military hats
Technical specifications of a digital image
If you wish to submit a digital image, it has to have the following specifications
- It must be in JEPG format(Joint Photographic Experts Group)
- The file should not exceed 25 KB
- The resolution should be within the bracket of 600 × 600 pixels and 1200 × 1200 pixels. The height must be equal to the width
- The image must be in color. Black and white images are not acceptable.
When scanning the image, the recommended scanner should be able to scan an image at a resolution of dots per inch. The resolution should be between 600 × 600 pixels and 1200 × 1200 pixels. The image should be in color, not black and white.
What are the advantages of getting the Diversity Visa?
The reason why this program sees a lot of applicants is the advantages that getting a United States Visa. The advantages include.
- It is better than getting a student visa. When you get the diversity visa, you are eligible for the different advantages that come with being a student who is a United States citizen. The government funds your education through the support system it offers US citizens. You get to pay much less, sometimes 3 to 4 times less tuition fee that the fee that is paid by foreign students
- You gain the freedom to work anywhere in the United States. This is irrespective of all other factors. However, this may not apply to companies that employ only United States citizens.
- You will now be able to start your own business anywhere in the United States and be allowed to have your own company. If you have worked for 10 straight years before you retire, you will be eligible to receive the benefits of social security.
- You will now have the right to receive government grants
- You will be able to help your spouse and children below 21 years to get citizenship. The green card issued to your family does not expire upon you losing your job or in the event that you lose your life.
- Your children who are over 21 years old can live freely in the US and will be able to marry and get married and study without student visas.
Once you have successfully received your Diversity Visa, you are free to apply for citizenship at any given time. It is however not important as you enjoy full rights like that of a citizen.
NOTE; DV lottery 2020 registration free status will bring forth a lot of people who want to steal your money. It is a free process and you are not required to pay anything.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that some of the links in the article are affiliate links and YEN.com.gh will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. However, we always choose only the best quality products that we use ourselves and recommend to our readers. The earnings we get from the affiliate marketing help us continue preparing useful and entertaining content, that our audience enjoys
READ ALSO: Apply for UK visa in Ghana