The University for Development Studies(UDS) is a public university situated in Tamale, northern Ghana. The university was established to serve the people in northern, eastern, and upper west regions of Ghana. UDS admission procedure has been made easy for prospective diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Since May 1992, the university has registered an inspiring growth. As a result, it has been ranked among the best universities in the country. UDS has gained popularity over the years for offering high-quality education to students in all its branches.
UDS admission requirements
Before you get admitted to The University for Development Studies, there are several requirements you must meet. You should know that the requirements vary depending on the desired program. The requirements for different programs are:
Undergraduate program admission requirements
If you want to be admitted at UDS for a degree program, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have attained a C6 in all the three core subjects (Integrated Science/Social Studies Mathematics and English) and elective subjects in West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). The students who have Grade D7, D8 or, D9 in the core and elective subjects do not qualify for a degree program.
- The aggregate score must not exceed 36.
- Note that Social studies is not considered as an elective subject.
- If you study Business and Art subjects at WASSCE, your Social Studies grade can be used in place of your Integrated Science. This can only apply if you have a pass in Integrated Science. However, for those candidates who want to study Science related courses, their good grades in Social Studies cannot replace Integrated Science.
Diploma program admission requirements at UDS
The candidates who do not meet the admission requirements for undergraduate programs in UDS are advised to apply for Diploma programs. Before a candidate is admitted at UDS for diploma, the following requirements must be met:
- A candidate must have three credit passes in elective subjects and at least two passes in Mathematics and English in WASSCE.
- If students do not have a pass in core subjects (Mathematics and English), they are advised not to apply for the Diploma program. Likely, the students with minimum Diploma requirements will not be admitted. This is because candidates with better grades are highly preferred.
- If candidates do not have good aggregates, but they have credits in core and elective subjects (Degree program requirements), they are advised to apply for Diploma programs.
Undergraduate admission requirements for Higher National Diploma (HND) and other Diploma holders
HND and other Diploma holders who want to pursue a degree course at UDS must meet the following:
- Students with Second Class Lower or better in related programs would be admitted into Level 200.
- Candidates with a Third Class or Pass would be admitted into Level 100.
- Also, candidates must pass the interview, which is conducted by the university for selection purposes.
Admission requirements for Registered Nurses
Below are some of the crucial requirements that registered nurses must meet before they are admitted at UDS:
- Nurses applying for BSc Nurse Practitioner or BSc Nursing programs must be fully registered. This means that they must have a State Registered Nurses or Diploma Certificate.
- They must have worked for at least three years.
How do I get admission to UDS?
Are you an esteemed student and want to join UDS? Do you want to make it to the UDS admission list of the 2020/2021 academic year? To be admitted, you must fill an online form which is accessible on the UDS admission portal. The process is very easy, and the online application is as follows:
- The first thing you need to do is pay 180 Ghana Cedis. The payment can be made at any branch of National Investment Bank (NIB), Prudential Bank, Agricultural Development Bank (ADB), Zenith Bank, Stanbic Bank, Ecobank, and GCB Bank to get the UDS E-Voucher. This is crucial because the E-Voucher contains a Serial Number and PIN required to complete filling your online form.
- Visit their website after making payment to access the online form.
- Fill the form and upload all the relevant certificates and a recent passport-sized photo with a white background. Total disqualification will apply to those who choose to use objects in place of their own photographs. Be precise when filling the form and confirm to ensure that all the details correct because once the form is submitted, it will be impossible for you to edit it, as it can only be viewed.
- Print your certificates, result slips, application summary, and other relevant documents. All the printed documents should be in triplicate (three copies each) and be submitted to the Deputy Registrar (Academic Affairs Section.)
- Do not post the application documents and forms yourself. Visit any Express Mail Service (EMS) office in the country for assistance and advise on how to post them. Before posting the documents, ensure that the documents have been addressed to;
The Deputy Registrar (Academic& Student Affairs)
University for Development Studies
P.O Box TL 1350
When is the UDS admission application deadline 2020/2021?
Like any other university, The University for Development Studies has set application deadlines for various courses. Unfortunately, the closing date to submit applications was on May 30, 2020. For the BSc Nurse Anaesthesia, the application deadline was on April 30, 2020. Those applying for the MBChB program can still do so because the deadline is on July 10, 2020.
An invitation for preparatory programs will be sent to successful applicants from July 27, 2020, to August 27, 2020. On Wednesday, July 3, 2020, an interview will be conducted to the holders of Diploma or Degree for a top-up in Doctorate of Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLSD). The holders of diploma in Nursing and Midwifery must pass the university exam for them to be admitted. The exam is scheduled to be on Wednesday, July 8, 2020, at Tamale Campus.
How to check if you are on the UDS admissions list
UDS Admission Portal login allows students to check their admission status and if they are on the admission list. You can easily access their portal using your phone or computer. If you want to know whether you are on the admissions list, the procedure is as follows:
- Visit the UDS status checker portal.
- Then enter your E-Voucher PIN and Serial Number on the field provided.
- Click the "Login" button to get access to your admission status.
- Print the UDS admission letter.
How are aggregates calculated?
The University for Development Studies has come up with a reliable system for computing final aggregates. This system helps students to avoid any sort of doubt. The equivalences are:
Faculties in UDS
Courses in UDS are categorized into schools and faculties. Some of the faculties are;
- Faculty of Communication and Cultural Studies
- Faculty of Agribusiness and Applied Economics
- Faculty of Applied Sciences
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment
- Faculty of Mathematical Sciences,
- Faculty of Planning and Land Management.
Schools in UDS
The university has different schools that offer a variety of courses. Some of them are:
School of Engineering
The school offers a 4-year Bachelor of Agricultural Engineering with options in Food and Post-Harvest Engineering, Farm Power and Machinery Engineering, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, and Soil and Water Conservation Engineering.
School of Allied Health Sciences (SAHS)
The school offers 4-year degree programs in Community Nutrition, Nursing, and Midwifery. It also offers 2 to 3 year Bachelor degrees in Nursing and Midwifery and a 6-year Doctor of Medical Laboratory Sciences.
School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS)
This school offers a 2-3 year Bachelor of Science in Nursing Anesthesia. There are a number of departments under this school. Some of them are; Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Department of Pharmacy Department of Surgery and Department of Clinical Microbiology.
School fees at the University for Development Studies vary from one course to another. They also have different fees structures for their different campuses. If you're considering to join, take a look at their 2020 fee information.
UDS contacts and email addresses
You can reach the university administration through the following contacts:
- Registrar's Secretariat: +233-37-209-3697 or email@example.com
- University Relations: +233-37-209-8602 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic and Student Affairs: +233-37-209-3382 or email@example.com
- Accra Office: +233-30-278-6300
- London Office: +44(0)2072787413
- Fax: +44(0)2077135776
The UDS admission process is effortless for all potential students. The university is offering many diploma and degree programs for both local and international students. Enrol today.