Kumasi Technical University is one of the oldest and most recognized universities in Ghana. It was mainly dedicated for providing students with the necessary technical diplomas and sub-professional courses, but in 2016, because of the technical university act, it started providing Ghanaian students with higher education degrees in applied arts, technology, and engineering. Within a short period of time, it has become an important center dedicated to the training of young professionals from all around Africa. Read down below in order to check the main Kumasi polytechnic courses offered by the university for Ghanaian and other African Students.
The Kumasi technical university mainly aims to be the center of excellence for the training of young professionals in many required technical fields, and its mission is to provide a favorable environment for research and entrepreneurship in science, engineering, and technology in order to attract students from local Ghanaian communities and international ones.
Business courses offered in Kumasi polytechnic university
The Kumasi Polytechnic University offers a variety of courses in business and accounting to suit the needs of many young students and the developing economy and industry in Ghana, which made it become one of the most recognized Ghanaian universities in a short period of time. The courses offered in the Kumasi Polytechnic University are among the best available courses in the higher education institutions in Ghana. There are, of course, certain requirements that enable students to enroll in the university. The faculty of business and management studies in the university has six different departments to suit the needs of all students:
- Department of Accountancy and Accounting Information Systems
- Department of Banking Technology and Finance
- Department of Liberal Studies
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Procurement and Supply Chain Management
Kumasi technical university courses
The Kumasi Polytechnic University is, of course, most famous for the quality of its technical courses, as it was already a polytechnic institution for students before it became a university that serves higher education students. The university has many faculties that are concerned with technical studies, as it covers all branches and fields of modern technology and development. That is why the Kumasi technical university degree courses are among the most popular courses for Ghanaian and African students. Each faculty has several departments. There are, of course, certain requirements that should be met by any student who wants to apply for the Kumasi technical university course registration. Here is a list of all the technical faculties and their departments:
Faculty of Built and Natural Environment
- Department of Building Technology
- Department of Estate Management
- Department of Interior Design and Materials Technology
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Applied Sciences and Technology
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management
- Department of Information Science
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Faculty of Creative Arts and Technology
- Department of Fashion Design and Textiles
- Department of Graphic Design
Kumasi technical university short courses
The Kumasi technical university also offers a variety of short courses to many Ghanaian and African students in order to help them enhance their skills in their prospected fields. The list of courses is usually updated every year according to the requirements of students, and below is the full list of the short courses that were available for students in 2017. In addition, here is a link to the main university’s website that has all the available information about those courses in detail with also the registration details at the end of the web page.
- Computerized Accounting
- Certificate in Banking Operations
- Mastering Customer Experience
- Industrial Electrical Wiring and Control Systems
- Domestic and Commercial Electrical Wiring
- Solar energy (Photovoltaic Design and Installation)
- Electrical Motors & Generators Rewinding
- Quality Laboratory Control And Management Workshop
- Process Plant and Equipment Operations
- Hands-On Gas Chromatography Workshop
- Advanced Word Processing
- Industrial Health, Safety and Loss
- Advanced Spreadsheet Package
- Executive PowerPoint Presentation
- Mechatronics System and Analysis Control
- Motor Vehicle Diagnostic Process and Scanning Analysis Techniques
- Techniques in Handling New Fashion Fabrics and Textiles
- Applied Basic Hydraulics
- Fashion “Klinic” (Grooming)
Kumasi Polytechnic cut off points
In general, there are no specific or certain cut off points needed for the Kumasi poly course registration, but there are specific requirements that have to met by any student who is looking for continuing his education in the university or just signing up for a specific course of his choice. You may find the most important requirements listed below, and you can also view all of them in detail from this link, which will direct you to the official website of the Kumasi University. In order to download the Kumasi Polytechnic course registration form, click on this link.
Entry requirements for B.Tech degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering (2year top-up): Candidates must have HND (First Class or Second Class Upper Division) in Civil Engineering with a minimum of two (2) years working experience. Second Class Lower Division holders will have to attend an interview.
- Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering (2year top-up - regular):
- Holders of HND Chemical Engineering Certificate with a minimum of two (2) years post-graduation industrial experience.
- Applicants with First Class and Second Class Upper Division would be admitted without an interview.
- Applicants with Second Class Lower Division would be required to pass an interview.
- Applicants with other Engineering and Chemistry backgrounds would be required to take relevant Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Courses as prerequisites.
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
For Higher National Diploma (HND) graduates:
- Holders of HND Electrical/Electronic Engineering with at least second Class Lower Division.
- At least two years of post HND working experience in the relevant field.
For Electrical Engineering Technician Part III (EETIII)
- At least two years of post EETIII working experience in the relevant field.
- Must pass a bridging course for the duration of two semesters.
- Must possess EETI, EETII, and EETIII certification.
For Foreign Applicants with qualification considered to be equivalent to HND will be considered for direct entry while those with qualifications equivalent to EET III will go through the bridging programme.
- Bachelor of Technology in Accounting with Computing
- Holders of HND Accountancy/Accounting with Computing Certificate with a minimum of two (2) years working experience. OR
- ACCA and ICA holders with passes in six (6) or more subjects. OR
- First Degree holders from other fields or discipline may apply.
- Bachelor of Technology in Procurement Management
- Holders of HND Purchasing & Supply (2nd Class Lower or better) or its equivalent with a minimum of two (2) years post qualification working experience.
- Applicants with Diploma in Procurement & Supply from the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS UK) qualification may apply.
- HND Graduates from other fields or disciplines with a qualification not less than a minimum of 2nd Class Lower Division with at least five (5) years working experience in procurement related fields.
- First Degree Graduates from other fields or discipline may apply.
- Bachelor of Technology in Building Technology
- Candidates must have HND (First Class or Second Class Upper Division) in Building Technology with a minimum of two (2) years working experience.
- Second Class Lower Division holders will have to attend an interview.
- Holders of CTC II Final (old scheme) or CTC III Final (new scheme) with at least passes in all the Four (4) major components. Also credit in English Language and Mathematics at GCE 'O' Level or SSSCE/WASSCE Level shall be required.
- Bachelor of Technology in Estate Management
- Holders of HND Estate Management (2nd Class Lower or better) or its equivalent with a minimum of two (2) years post qualification working experience.
- Applicants with Lower Class would be required to attend an interview.
- Bachelor of Technology in Entrepreneurship & Finance
- Holders of HND Entrepreneurship (2nd Class Lower or better) or its equivalent with a minimum of two (2) years working experience.
- Bachelor of Technology in Fashion Design and Modeling
- Holders of HND Fashion Design and Textiles Studies (2nd Class Lower or better) or its equivalent with a minimum of two (2) years post qualification working experience.
- HND Applicants with equivalent qualifications to HND Fashion Design from a recognized institution would be required to pass an interview.
- For a Bachelor of Technology in Health Statistics, a Bachelor of Technology in Environmental Statistics, and a Bachelor of Technology in Financial Statistics:
- Candidates must have HND (Fi
- rst Class or Second Class Upper Division) in Statistics with a minimum of two (2) years working experience. Candidates with Second Class Lower Division will have to attend an interview. OR
- Other Diploma qualifications from elsewhere assessed to be equivalent to HND may be similarly considered.
- Qualification of Access in Building Technology for SSSCE Applicants
- Candidates must pass at least (3) of the four (4) major components including Construction Practice and Applied Technology and Site Experience at CTC III or CTC II final (old scheme) including passes in their corresponding project works.
- HND Building Technology candidates: Second Class Lower or Pass in HND Building Technology.
- Others: HND Estate Management, HND Civil Engineering, HND Interior Architecture and Furniture Production.
Entry requirements for Hnd programmes:
- SSSCE Applicants
- Six passes (A-D) in all subjects, including English Language and Mathematics; and
- At least three (3) of the passes must be relevant to the area of specialization.
- WASSCE Applicants
- Six passes (A1-D7) in all subjects, including English Language and Mathematics; and
- Must possess a minimum of C6 in any three (3) of the elective subjects relevant o the area of specialization.
- ABCE/ 'O'&'A' Level Applicants
- Five (5) ABCE credits or five (5) GCE Ordinary Level credits including English Language and Mathematics plus at least two (2) GCE 'A' Level/ABCE passes.
- GBCE Applicants
- Five (5) GBCE credits including English, Business Mathematics and Integrated Science/Social Studies.
- DBS Applicants
- Four (4) SSSCE/WASSCE Credits including English Language and Mathematics plus at least three DBS passes.
- Technical School Applicants (Certificate II)
- Passes in English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science plus any three (3) relevant trade courses.
- Mature Applicants
- Be 25 years old and show proof of age with birth certificate or any legitimate documentary proof of birth date which is at least 5 years old at the time of application.
- Have at least two (2) years working experience (letter from the employer is required).
- Pass a written examination conducted by the University.
- Mature applicants applying for HND Dispensing Technology/Medical Laboratory Technology/Science and Industrial Laboratory Technology should have relative hospital/industrial experience with 'O' Level/WASSCE/SSSCE pure science background (Chemistry and Biology) as well as credits in English and Mathematics (core)
Entry requirements for non-HND full time programmes
- Technician Part II Certificate
Entry requirements for non-tertiary programmes and part-time programmes
- Four (4) SSSCE/WASSCE passes including English Language and Mathematics.
Entry Requirements for Technician Part II
- Four (4) passes Technician Part I
Entry requirements for one year access/Pre-Hnd programme (Technical/vocational applicants Only) in HND mechanical engineering, HND electrical engineering, or HND civil engineering
- A minimum qualification of Intermediate certificate in vocational or technical courses or its equivalent.
Entry requirements for a one year top-Up Hnd dispensing technology programme
A one year top-up Dispensing Technology Programme leading to HND Dispensing Technology, technical courses or its equivalent.
- Dispensing Technician Certificate holders must have overall credit and also, credit in Chemistry, in Dispensing Technician Part III Examination of Technical Examination Unit. OR
- Must have passed the Access Course organized by the Department of Dispensing Technology, Kumasi Technical University.
Entry requirements for Icm financial services programmes:
- Certificate in Financial Services - ICM (Part I) Entry Requirement: Four (4) passes in WASSCE/SSSCE including English and Mathematics.
- Diploma in Financial Services - ICM (Part II) Entry Requirement: ICM Financial Services (Part I)
- ICM Advanced Diploma - ICM (Part III) Entry Requirement: ICM Financial Services (Part II)
- ICM Graduate Diploma - ICM (Part IV) Entry Requirement: ICM Financial Services (Part III)
A Diploma in
- Computerized Accounting,
- Electronic Marketing,
- Purchasing & Supply,
- Management Studies and
- Data Science.
Entry requirements for professional programmes
- Professional Diploma in Computerized Accounting
- Professional Diploma in Electronic Marketing
- Professional Diploma in Procurement & Materials Management
- Professional Diploma in Management Studies
A Diploma in
- Computerized Accounting,
- Electronic Marketing,
- Purchasing & Supply,
- Management Studies and
- Data Science.
Candidates who are writing WASSCE Examinations in May/June, 2017 can apply and bring their results as soon as they are released.