Ghanaians woke up on the morning of Saturday, April 28, 2018, to hear of the passing away of Jewel Ackah.
The news of his death was met with surprise from all corners of the country. In his lifetime, Jewel contributed his quota to mother Ghana through music.
YEN.com.gh brings to you 7 facts about the life of the late music icon:
1. The musician, who was known supporter of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), passed away on Friday, April 27, at the age of 73 years.
2. He is on record to have composed the NDC’s anthem, ‘Arise.’
3. He was known to have been battling stroke and other sicknesses for about a decade.
4. His real name was 'Jewel' Francis Kofi Ackah snd he hailed from Nzema in Ghana's Western region.
5. Jewel began his career with C.K Mann's group in 1967. He then moved on to a succession of bands: Ebo Taylor and the Railway Band, the El Dorados (of the Aboso Glass Factory) and the Lantics, the resident band of the Atlantic Hotel, Takoradi.
6. In 1974, he recorded his first album 'Gyaki Me' that he sang in Nzima and which won him several award
7. Later, he began releasing gospel albums such as 'Me Su Fre Wo' in 1994 and 'Ahwere How' in 1995.
Top 4 Scandal Quotes from Moesha Boduong CNN Interview: