Apart from offering both Ghanaians and tourists a taste of the rich African culture and diversity, tertiary institutions in Ghana have produced some of the influential figures worldwide through their excellent mode of teaching. This write-up will provide detailed information about the Universities that have been chartered, and accredited by the Ghanaian higher education related organization.
Ranking of tertiary institutions in Ghana
Ghana has consistently stood out among other countries in West Africa as a well-established country. In education, it is known to be among the countries providing the best education in the region. Universities in Ghana are known to be affiliated to some of the best universities in the world, and this is what places it at the top of the map in the education sector. Both private and public universities operate in this country, but their rankings depend on web presence, publications, and research. Below is a list of top public tertiary institutions in Ghana
University of Cape Coast
The institution was established approximately 56 years ago with a mandate to provide both international and local students with an adequate learning approach in the higher education. The University is officially recognized and accredited by the National Accreditation Board Ghana. It has set itself apart to offer professional, liberal, and comprehensive programmes that help students to be morally responsible, creative, and innovative citizens. Annually, they enroll between 30,000-34,999 students into their masters, degree, certificate, doctorates, and degree programs. Their academic calendar runs in semesters with a teaching staff of around 3,000 to 3,499 members who ensure that learning runs smoothly throughout all semesters. The campus setting is suburban and without any religious affiliation. The areas of study and degree courses offered include:
- Science and Technology
- Medicine and Health
- Language and Culture
- Business and Social Sciences
- Arts and Humanities
The institution has managed to appear in the list of tertiary institutions in Ghana because of being stringent with learning. For instance, their students are admitted depending on their past academic record.
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
Having earned a reputation for promoting science and technological education, it’s the largest public university in Ghana. It was founded about 66 years ago with only the School of Engineering being in operation, and since then, it has been one of the best tertiary institutions in Ghana. It has a student population of around 12,000 with two campuses, Munyoko Street Campus being the main one. Some known alumni who have gone through this prestigious institution are John Dumelo the Ghanaian actor and philanthropist, and the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Atta Annan. Because of its high standards of education, the University has an international student’s association that ensures international students are well accommodated at the university right from campus tours, accommodation, and orientation. The various specialties in KNUST include Engineering, Sciences, Arts and Built environment, Humanities and Social Sciences, Health Sciences, Agriculture, and Natural Resources. They have a governing body that carries out the following duties:
- Reporting on matters referred to it by the University Council
- Overseeing the conduct of examinations and the award of certificates, degrees, and diplomas
- Formulating and carrying out the academic policy of the university while ensuring it maintains its place in the list of public tertiary institutions in Ghana.
- Advising the University Council on the admission of students and the award of scholarships
- Supervising research, managing and devising the courses of instruction and study
University of Ghana
Of the thirteen public universities available, University of Ghana is the largest and oldest with a student population of around 40,000. It was established in 1948 when Ghana was still colonized by the British. It was an affiliate college of the University of London, and it was called University College of the Gold Coast. It has ten hostels with an international students’ hostel for foreign students. The student population comprises of over 38,000 including distance education, sandwich programs, and regular programs. They aim to become a word class research-intensive institution with the areas being:
- Development policy, poverty monitoring and evaluation
- Enhancing food processing and production
- Malaria Research
- Trans-disciplinary research into climate change adaptation
They provide different courses such as humanities, health education, necessary, and applied sciences.
University of Education, Winneba
University of Education Winneba is found in Central part of Ghana and their aim is to train teachers who can tactfully teach students the Ghana curriculum. It is well organized and was founded almost 25 years ago as an accredited tertiary institution in Ghana ,with seven faculties, 18 colleges that provide distance education in the whole of Ghana, and 29 academic departments. In addition to their multiple study centers, they also have:
- The college of languages-Ajumako campus
- The College of Agriculture Education-Mampong Campus
- The College of Technology Education-Kumasi Campus
Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration
GIMPA was founded in 1961 as a joint project with the United Nations Special Fund Project for training public servants. Initially, it was called the Institute of Public Administration, and in 1999-2000 it was selected and transformed into a self-financing institution when Ghana was earmarked under the World Bank-funded Public Sector Reform Programme. It is one of the tertiary institutions in Accra offering a world-class education to students. They offer programs in technology for the government and public sector, public and business administration, and leadership. It has become a top institution, not only in Africa but globally for providing students with state of the art degree and masters programme in governance and leadership, development management, and business administration. Their students range from mid-level personnel from the private and public sector, bureaucrats, and politicians.
READ ALSO: List of Aviation Schools in Ghana
University of Development Studies
The University was established about 26 years ago with a mandate to provide the residents of Tamale and whole of Ghana with higher education. It has a student’s population of around 50,000, and it offers recognized courses that give one a degree in their specific area of study. The tertiary educational institutions in Ghana focuses on providing students with education, which prepares them with adequate skills in the world of employment and entrepreneurship. Their specialties include natural resources and environment, integrated development studies, education, applied sciences, mathematical sciences, agriculture, and agribusiness and communication sciences.
Top private tertiary institutions in Ghana
- Valley View University: This private higher education institution was founded about 39 years ago and is located in the greater Accra region. They have other campuses in Tamale, Kumasi and Techiman. The student population is around 4,000 to 4,999 students.
- Ghana Technology University College: With their motto “knowledge comes from learning, the university offers programs that lead recognized higher degrees.
- Regent University College of Science and Technology: It was officially made a University in 2005 by the Minister of Education and together with MSM, they provide doctor of business administration progam.
- Central University: The institution started a training institute way back in 1988 until 1997 when it became the Central University College.
- Accra Institute of Technology: The institution gives students the opportunity to pursue one or more diploma or degree course at a time. Te provide students with a world class academic courses in collaboration with renowned universities in the world.
- Ashesi University College: Ashesi means everything you put your mind to is possible. The institution was established in 2002 and offers four year learning program before one graduates. Courses found in this university include computer science, engineering, management information systems, and business administration. In 2012, it was ranked by PWC as the seventh most respected organization in the entire country.
- Regent University College of Science and Technology: The Accra-based institution of higher learning has extensive records and success in academic excellence making it one f the best university in Ghana. The well-known college was registered about 15 years ago but became a certified tertiary institution in 2004 with around 30 pioneer students at the main campus. Its commitment to spiritual renewal, socio-economic, and purpose-driven human resource makes it the best place for the competitive global environment.
- Presbyterian University College: The Presbyterian Church of Ghana developed the university. Since its establishment, the institution has pursued all avenues possible to emerge as a place that instills and blends professional and academic excellence while appreciating globalization trends, technology, culture, and the environment. It also ensures men and women who go through it preserve Christian values and principles including humility, selflessness, honesty, discipline, compassion, and love.
- Christian Service University College: Strategically located in Kumasi Ghana, the university was founded in 1974. Since then, it has gone through all lengths to get its status as an internationally recognized academic center of excellence for theology and research, business and liberal arts, information technology, and an appropriate environment for an ecumenical and ethical environment to individuals of all backgrounds.
List of accredited tertiary institutions in Ghana
Below is a list of all the accredited institutions providing higher education in Ghana. Also, it is the best way for the public to discover fake tertiary institutions in Ghana and avoid paying off fees to untrustworthy personnel. Right from affiliated colleges, polytechnics within the country, and local campuses to foreign universities. All the institutions are licensed and certified by the National Accreditation Board Ghana, which operates under the Ministry of Education.
- Sunyani Technical University is one of the technical tertiary institutions in Ghana that is certified. It serves resident of Brong Ahao, and Sunyani.
- Ho Technical Univesrity-is found in Ho and Volta regions of Ghana
- Takoradi Technical University is in Western Ghana and Takoradi
- Kumasi Technical University has campuses in Ashanti, and Kumasi
- Tamele Technical University is in Northern Ghana, and Tamale
- Koforidua Technical University is in Eastern Ghana, and Koforidua
- Accra Technical University is in Greater Accra region and Accra
- Cape Coast Technical University found in Central Ghana and Cape Coast
- University of Energy and Natural Resources was established in 2012 and it is found in Sunyani Brong Ahafo
- The University of Professional Studies was founded in 1965 and it is found in Greater Accra, and Accra.
- University of Heath and Allied Sciences was developed in 2011 and it is located in Ho, and Volta
- The University of Mines and Technology was founded in 2001 and it is found in Takwa and the Western part of Ghana.
- University for Development Studies was established in 1992, it is found in Northern part of Ghana and Tamale
- University of Education Winneba was established in 1992 and it is ocated strategically in Central part of Ghana, and Winneba to serve all students interested in taking up a course in education.
- University of Cape Coast-is nick named Cape Vars was developed in 1961 to provide higher education to Ghanaians. It is found in the central part of Ghana and Cape Coast.
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology is found in Kumasi and Ashanti
Finally in the public accredited institutions we have the University of Ghana that was established in 1948 during the colonial period. It is found in the following locations in Ghana, colleges all over the ten regions of Ghana, Accra, Legon, Greater Accra, and Korle Bu and Atomic.
In the Regional University section, the Regional Maritime University, which was established in 2007 is a licensed institution and it is located in the Greater Accra, and Accra. Other chartered private tertiary institutions and colleges include:
- Akrofi-Christaller Institute of Theology, Mission, and Culture was established in 1987 and it is located in Akropong-Akuapem, Eastern.
- Valley View University-Created in 1779, the university is found in Oyibi and Greater Accra.
- Bue Crest College formerly known as NIIT Ghana College was established in 1999 and it is located in Greater Accra, and affiliated to the University of Education Winneba.
- Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College, they offer Master’s degree and are found in Accra and Greater Accra.
- Ghana Institute of Languages was established in 1961 and they are found in Accra and Greater Accra. They are affiliated to the University of Ghana.
- Wisconsin International University College was established in 200 ad it is affiliated to the University of Cape Coast. It is located in Agbogba Junction and Greater Accra.
- Presbyterian University College was established in 2003 an are located in Tema, Agogo Asante-Akyem, Abetifi-Kwahu, and Akropong-Akuapem.
- Pentecost University College was founded in 2003 and is located in Sowutuom, and Greater Accra.
- Methodist University College Ghana was established in 2000 and is found in Dansoman, Accra, and Greater Accra
- Catholic University College of Ghana was founded in 2003 ad it is located in Brong Ahafo, Sunyani, and Fiapre.
- Anglican University College of Technology was established in 2008 and is located in Brong Ahafo, Nkoranza, and Nkoranza Campus.
- African University College of Communications is located in Greater Accra, and Adabraka.
- Accra Institute of Technology was established in 2005 and it is based in Greater Accra, and Cantontments.
READ ALSO: List of International Schools in Ghana 2018
All the other certified institutions for higher learning are those affiliated to:
- University of Wales
- China Europe International Business School
- Australian Institute of Business Administration
- Karunya University in India
- Sikkim Manipal University India
- Webstar University, St. Louis, USA
- University of Education Winneba
- University of Cape Coast
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
Throughout the years, Ghana has been ranked top when it comes to education sector in West Africa. Their universities are accommodative to both Ghanaians and International Students.