- The AMA has issued an alert against noise making and drumming in Ghana
- This follows the upcoming Homowo celebrations of the Ga Traditional Council
- The ban starts from May 14 and ends in June 14
The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) has announced the ban on noise making in the Greater Accra Region ahead of the Homowo festivities this year.
In a press statement signed by the authority states that the ban in drumming and noise making is part of traditional culture aimed at preparing the gods for a successful Homowo celebration.
READ ALSO: Faceless armed gangs kills student at OKESS
Affected areas are towns under the Osu, Ngleshie Alata and Ga Traditional Councils. Ahead of the ban, which takes off from Monday, May 14 to June 14 is also expected to see residents in Accra abide by some four rules and regulations:
1. Praise and worship must be confined to the premises of churches and mosques and noise levels reduced to the barest minimum.
2. Religious bodies and authorities must show respect for one another and restrain their fellow members from making inflammatory remarks about the beliefs and practices of one another.
3. The positioning of loudspeakers at the premises of churches, mosques, and pubs are banned. Also, roadside evangelists have to stop their activities during this period.
4. Ghanaians must only respect the orders of the AMA task force and Ghana police who will be in uniform.
Homowo Festival is celebrated by the Ga people of the greater Accra region of Ghana. The moral of the festival is to commemorate the period in their history when there was a serious famine in the land. The festival is very glamorous and showcases a great deal of traditional values of the GA people.
Legend has s that there was a period in the history of the GA Kingdom, when there was a severe famine. There was no rain and the people were in great starvation.
The people instead of sitting down and wallowing in self pity, rather embarked on a vicious cycle of food cultivation and as they were rewarded with a bountiful harvest. They therefore celebrate the Homowo to hoot at hunger and rejoice in their harvest.
Top 5 Triumphant Returns after ACL Injury - FIFA World Cup
Do you have a hot story or scandal you would like us to publish on YEN.com.gh? Please contact us on Facebook now!