Have you ever wanted to enroll in professional continuous stock exchange courses? Such a need can arise because you want to gain knowledge, be at par with current trends, and grow your income and career. The third reason is the popular one among people who want to climb the corporate ladder. In doing so, a senior position will come with recognition and increased pay. When it comes to the Ghana Stock Exchange courses, people enroll either to sharpen their skills as securities experts or to become investment analysts should they become interested in the trade.
If you are interested in taking any of the courses offered by Ghana stock exchange training program, it is worthwhile to know that it is a good decision. After completing the program, you will be in a good position to offer financial advice on the stock market. This knowledge will give you an edge over others because of your understanding of how the markets operate. At the same time, the stock markets courses will equip you with techniques for maximizing profits.
The other reason for joining the Ghana Stock Exchange training is to learn how to invest. Learning about the correct investment methods can help you in your life and career. However, before joining the program, you will need to have met the necessary requirements. Generally, good stock exchange students are those who understand the current market trends.
Once you join the various stock exchange courses in Ghana you will cover financial and economic market related topics. The topics include:
- Securities trading
- Portfolio management
- Investment analysis
The courses are offered in four levels; 100, 200, 300 and 400. Level 100 is the introductory part as the complexity increases to level 400.
List of professional courses in Ghana Stock Exchange
As mentioned, the GSE courses are offered in levels. If you are a beginner, then level 100 is the most appropriate. As you graduate from one level to another, you will familiarize yourself with the trading environment, working techniques, how prospects are made and how to manage the risk of loss. Stock trading is highly dynamic and can fluctuate on a hourly basis.
Now, let's check out the different professional Ghana stock exchange short courses that will keep you updated about the financial market.
1. Level 100 – Introduction to investment
This is one of the basic Ghana Stock Exchange courses in Kumasi. It introduces students and potential investors to the financial markets. For a quick recap, financial markets refer to the market where securities, bonds, derivatives, equities, currencies and values are traded. The course gives entry level information you need to understand how to trade in the financial market. Subjects covered in level 100 include:
- The concept reward of capital and financial markets - This subject introduces you to how financial markets operate and the benefits of investing in such markets.
- Risks and rewards of investing - Just like any other investment venture, there are risks and rewards and the same happens in the stock market. As a GSA course, learners get to know how to invest wisely while minimizing the risk of losing their money. Ideally, this subject teaches one to know when to trade or avoid the same.
- How and why stock values change - This subject explains the factors that determine the values of shares. As such, you will understand why the prices of the stocks and their values keep fluctuating.
- Valuing securities - Of course you must have observed that different stocks have different prices or values. This is subject lets you understand the strength, profitability, and performance of shares. Valuing of securities is a mathematical computation concept that is very necessary to understand at the entry level. You will use the knowledge in trading.
Ghana Stock Exchange fee for the Introduction to Investment course is Ghc 190. The course is offered in Kumasi and takes approximately 4 days to be completed. The course at this level is not examinable as it is generally for purposes of knowledge. It is for all professionals and non-professional students with an interest in understanding the capital and financial markets.
2. Level 200 – Fundamental of finance and financial markets
Fundamental of Finance and Financial Markets is among the Ghana Stock Exchange short courses. It covers areas of economic, accounting and securities law. Students need to understand the different computations involved.
Ideally, it is at this level that the Ghana Stock Exchange training becomes technical. Students learn about new financial models, how to analyse their relevance, and the application of such models in the corporate world.
For instance, the share valuation models, the Multiplier or the DCF models are used to analyse a company’s financial ratio or position in order to determine its stock value. The process involves elaborate concepts in determining a company’s intrinsic value. Other subjects on this level include;
- Financial markets - It generally gives a deeper look at the financial markets based on the Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats approach.
- Financial statements - This subject teaches students how to prepare financial statements based on the operative data of a company. In addition, they will learn how to interpret the same data, draw conclusions, and even give recommendations. As a result, a student will be able to look at a financial statement of a company and determine whether its stocks are stable or not.
- Derivatives - This is one of the commodities traded in the stock market. A derivative refers to a security whose value is derived from another underlying asset, which could be a currency, bond, stock, market index, or interest rate.
- Corporate finance - Pertains to issues of capital structure, sources of funds, financial planning, implementation, and the various share value maximizing strategies including distribution.
- Regulation of securities market – Students get to learn the legal framework and ethics that guide the securities markets; the dos and the don’ts.
This GSE course takes ten days only to complete. In terms of costs, the Ghana Stock Exchange course fee for this level is 600 Ghana cedis whereby 120 cedis of the same will cover the examination fee. This course is offered in Accra at African Centre for Educational Services.
READ ALSO: Best technical school in Ghana
3. Level 300
Ideally, this is the Ghana Stock Exchange course that suits people who want to have a rewarding career in the stock trading sector. After completing the course, you can opt to specialise as a broker or agent for the securities company in Ghana. Here are some of the courses offered on level 300;
Level 301 / 302 – Securities trading and investment advisory techniques
This sub-level enlightens students about advisory and the practical approach to the securities market. The importance of levels 301 and 301 makes it a common course for professionals to equip them will the necessary knowledge that they can use to give direction, guidance and advice about the financial market. Topics covered include:
- Determining the client needs and objectives - This topic is tailored towards assisting student understanding the art of advising clients. You will learn to find out what each client wants before you provide your viable options.
- Identify investment vehicles – The subject teaches about the best investment vehicle. However, you need to remember that there is no one-fits-all investment vehicle. There are times when the execution of an investment option will lead to profits yet a different execution plan will only land you in loses. There are many options in investment options that this subject covers.
- Trading procedure – Touches on the recommended trading procedures that will lead to gains in the securities market. One of the most important things that you will learn in this topic is responsible trading. In other words, you will know when to sell or buy shares.
- Company listing process – For any company to trade in the Ghana Stock Exchange or even in any other stock exchange market, it must be listed. The details of how the listing process takes place are covered in this topic.
- Licensed Dealing Members (LDMs) and Authorized Dealing Officers (ADOs) - There are two primary ways of investing in the Ghana Stock Exchange. You can buy stocks or become a LDM or ADO. Either way, you can make profits profits provided that you understand the details of this topic.
- Ghana Stock Exchange structure - As you might have already guessed, the main idea in this topic is to outline the Ghana Stock Exchange structure. This Ghana Stock Exchange short course covers the layout of the stock exchange.
This course takes 7 days and is offered in Accra and Kumasi areas. In addition, the Ghana Stock Exchange course fee is 720 Ghana cedis out of which 120 cedis is for the examinations. It is also important to note that the Ghana Stock Exchange exams are done three times a year.
Level 303 – Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
The subjects covered on this level teach about investment analysis to identify if an investment option is viable or not.
In course 303, there is the introduction to derivatives and their types. The various types of derivatives covered here include swaps, futures, forwards, options and spot market. This is a complex but worthy topic because this is an area in the securities market where people make millions but is highly volatile.
The different Ghana Stock Exchange training programmes for this course run for 10 days. Before you start learning, you will need to know and pay the Ghana Stock Exchange course fee 2018 for this course, which is 930 Ghana cedis.
Level 304 – Corporate Finance
Corporate finance is one of the most advanced stock exchange courses in Ghana. It is about financial planning, sources of capital and how to raise capital, optimal utilization of the resources and the distribution of resources.
If you are interested in starting your brokerage firm or becoming a stock exchange agent, then this course will be of great help. It advises on how to manage securities trading at the corporate level. Here are the areas covered.
- Introduction to corporate finance – This area gives an overview of what corporate finance entails and the important aspects in regards to stock exchange or securities trading.
- Capital structure - For an organization to operate profitably, it needs planning. Developing a workable capital structure is key to the effectiveness and efficiency of operations and, therefore, this is an area that students should understand. In addition, the capital structure topic will talk about the apprehension of long and short term financing decisions and the impact they have in the operations of a business entity.
- Capitalization – This refers to how a company, organization or institution is able to raise funds. Ideally, if a company is publicly listed, it can issue initial public offers in terms of shares to raise funds. On the other hand, capital funding may derail a company that is considering mergers and acquisitions in order to cement a strong financial position in the market.
- Capital budgeting – After raising funds, the next step is to budget for the same. The budget should always be based on priorities in order to ensure proper use of the funds. This course enlightens you on how to do capital budgeting and why it is important to a business and its growth, especially in reference to its stock valuation.
- Valuation, rate and return - This is an analytical topic that details the process of determining if a company is financially stable or not after scrutinizing its financial ratios and all other indicators. The company valuation is a key pointer to the performance of a business and is also a parallel pointer to the profit or loss made during a certain financial period. This GSE course also teaches students how to calculate the rate of return on investment and the profits made.
- Dividend policy – Ideally, any investor who is investing in the stock market has two expectations. The two things are dividends and selling off their stocks at a profit once the stock valuation goes up and the market is favorable. Ordinarily, most businesses operate at a profit and hence the same is shared downwards to the shareholders. The company has to establish a dividend policy, say at a rate of 5% of the stock, if the company traded profitably.
- Financial analysis – From time to time, companies need to be evaluated to check on their performance and operative levels. Financial analysis points to this information and the knowledge of how to do financial analysis is what is taught in this Ghana Stock Exchange course on level 304.
The course fee is Ghanaian cedi 930 whereby 710 cedis is the tuition fee and the remainder is the examination fee.
READ ALSO: How to make quick money in Ghana
4. Level 400 - Legal and Regulatory Framework and Supervision
This is the highest level in the list of professional courses in Ghana regarding the stock exchange market. It mostly covers the regulatory operations of all parties involved in the stock exchange business. It spells out boldly what should be done and what should not be done, the scope of coverage and powers of a party in the securities trading and the legal and the illegal practices. Topics covered include;
- Securities regulation – Just like in any other business, there is a need for control and exercise of authority. Remember, this is a virtual market where the shareholders of different stocks may not know what actually happens on the trading floor. The existing regulations safeguard stakeholders from unfair practices. This topic covers the rules and laws that have the legal endorsement from the Ghanaian government.
- Structure of the regulatory systems in Ghana – there is a stipulated structure of the Ghanaian system for regulation that shows the hierarchy of leadership and authority; detailing who is responsible for what and to which extent. If you want to dive into the securities market business, then you should understand some of the provisions. Thankfully, you can learn about the same in this Ghana Stock Exchange short course.
- Ghana stock exchange as self-regulatory organization - Although there are international stock exchange markets, the GSE operates independently. Having said so, it is worth noting that there are a few international companies listed in the Ghana Stock Exchange. A professional securities expert in the management or advisory capacity should understand how the Ghana stock exchange operates so that they may never deviate from its mission and vision.
- Regulation of the collective investment schemes – This topic talks about individual and corporate investments. The corporate ones refer to the collective scheme investments where investors have come together for a common course. In such cases, the collective investment schemes regulations state how profits and loses will be fairly shared.
Level 400 is one of the Ghana Stock Exchange course in Kumasi that provides useful information relating to securities stakeholders including shareholders, directors, brokerage firms, financial institutions, listed companies, agents, and advisors.
Students get to learn about the rules and laws in the financial markets after completing this level. To complete this level, you only need three days. The exam sessions for level 400 take place thrice every year. The payable Ghana Stock Exchange course fee is 500 Ghanaian cedis.
After one successfully completes the stock exchange training in Ghana and passes, they can join the securities professional pool and offer timely, quality and relevant services to the people. A license from the regulating body will qualify you as a Licensed Dealing Member or an Authorized Dealing Officer.
License holders can establish their own brokerage or advisory firms and make money from securities trading by being an intermediary and for other consultancy services. The above are some of the best Ghana stock exchange training programs that will help you understand the securities trading and make informed decisions when investing.
READ ALSO: List of tertiary institutions in Ghana 2018
Ghana stock exchange course registration
To apply for the above courses, you must have graduated from any tertiary institution. You can also apply as an undergraduate and you will be eligible for a 10% discount on Ghana Stock Exchange courses fees 2018. If you meet these requirements, here are the registration steps:
- Download a couple of the GSE Securities Courses registration forms using this link.
- Fill in the forms in block capital letters
- Make payments for the course to Ghana Stock Exchange A/C No.: 1061010005036201 at ADB, Ridge from any ADB bank branch.
- Send your form with a receipt of your payment at least 7 days prior to the commencement of the classes.
Benefits of Ghana Stock Exchange course
The stock exchange training is very elaborate in covering every angle of the securities trading. As such, you will be equiped with facts, skills and researched information that will help you maneuver the industry effortlessly yet making good money from contractual deals in the financial market.
Below are some of the benefits of taking the securities courses:
- Career advancement - Enroling and studying the mentioned courses is one of the ways of advancing your educational credentials. As a result, even one course in stock exchange can help you move from one rank to the next with ease because the corporate world is always in need of expert services.
- Become an Authorized Dealing Officer - After successfully completing your courses, you can start a firm and make money besides trading stocks. However, you have to prove you are a securities mogul to be given the approval by the government to run a brokerage firm. One of the requirements is undertaking the Ghana Stock Exchange courses.
- Understand the security market dynamics – For starters, the ambiguity in the securities market can be overwhelming. Thankfully, the various GSE courses will give you clear a insight on what financial markets entail, the different products one can invest in and how to maximize on the same.
The Ghana Stock Exchange training programs offer you the needed information to make money on the securities trading market. The courses are short hence making it easy to pursue them. Besides, if you are a securities professional, there is a Ghana Stock Exchange course exemption in case you have an academic background in the same field. All you need to do is enrol in a Ghana Stock Exchange training school and kickstart your learning.
READ ALSO: How to make money in Ghana in 2018