- The CJ's report says Mrs Charlotte Osei, breached procurement laws in the award of several contracts, prior to the 2016 elections
- For all the six allegations, the committee found Mrs Osei culpable
The circumstances which led to the removal of Charlotte Osei as Chairperson of the Electoral Commission (EC) have been explained in the Chief Justice’s committee report.
The embattled EC boss was relieved of her duties on Thursday night following a directive from President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.
Mrs. Osei was fired together with her two deputies, Amadu Sulley and Gloria Opoku Amankwah.
The two EC deputies had been at loggerheads with their boss, with both parties leveling allegations of corruption and financial malfeasance against each other.
A statement signed by Information Minister, Mustapha Hamid, said the President sacked all three of the aforementioned, based on the recommendations of a committee set up by the Chief Justice to investigate the matter.
Excerpts of the report sighted by Yen.com.gh indicate that Mrs. Osei breached procurement laws in the award of several contracts, prior to the 2016 elections.
The 54-page document detailed out reasons why they committee upheld a petition to have her removed from office.
According to the report, the embattled EC boss was found culpable for all six allegations leveled against her, adding that her explanations did not add up.
READ ALSO: Charlotte Osei responds to her dismissal
Below is a summary of five reasons why Mrs. Osei was sacked as EC boss:
1. She awarded an illegal contract to DreamOval Ltd. for the redesigning of the EC’s website without recourse to rules of procurement.
2. She cancelled a deal signed by her deputy, Georgina Amankwah, with STL and singlehandedly re-awarded the contract to the same company valued at $22m.
3. She awarded a contract for the construction of pre-fabricated District Offices for the EC valued at a bloated $6.8m.
4. She awarded two contracts to Quazar Ltd, South Africa for the design of a new EC logo, contrary to the Public Procurement Act.
5. She awarded contracts for a new EC building without consulting the Entity Tender Committee of the EC.
Ghana Trends: Prophet Kumchacha VS Spoiled Ghana Girls:
Do you have a hot story or scandal you would like us to publish on YEN.com.gh? Please contact us on Facebook or Instagram now!