- Freddie Blay has won the seat for NPP national chairperson with 3021 votes
- The newly-elected national chairman of the NPP says the party is focused on winning the 2020 elections
- A total of 6000 delegates were present for the national congress with 1000 police officials deployed
The acting chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Freddy Blay, has been elected as national chairman of the party in the just held delegates congress at Koforidua.
Freddy Blay managed to get 3021 of the total votes cast of 5563. His fierce contender, Stephen Ntim, followed with 2515 votes.
This is the first time in the history and tradition of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) that an 'outsider' with roots to a different political party has been elected as national chairman.
Freddie Blay started his political career as a staunch member of the Convention People's Party (CPP). He had issues with party members of the CPP when he was heard contesting for president Akufo-Addo who was then a presidential candidate in the 2008 elections.
After resigning from the CPP, he joined the NPP where he was first nominated the acting national chairman of the party and now elected officially.
"We are all coming together. We will inspire each other for the elections of 2020. The future of the party is very bright and we are very prepared for the election 2020," Freddie Blay revealed to the media just after his election.
The lead up to the national congress was accompanied by some controversies regarding vote buying. Freddie Blay was criticized for flexing his financial muscle by first buying 275 buses for all constituencies and also allegedly sharing wads of cedis with a picture of him embossed on them.
In all, close to 6000 delegates across the country made it to the national congress. Security was very tight too as the police service deployed 1000 personnel to ensure that lives and properties are safeguarded.
Check out the full list of elected NPP executives:
1. Freddie Blay: Chairman
2. Rita Talata Asobayiri:1st vice Chairperson
3. F. F. Anto: 2nd Vice Chairperson
4. Michael Omari-Wadie:3rd Vice Chairperson
5. John Boadu: General Secretary
6. Sammi Awuku: Organizer
7. Abankwah Yeboah: Treasurer
8. Henry Nana Boakye: Youth Organizer
9. Kate Gyamfua: Women Organizer
10. Abdul-Aziz Haruna Futah: Nasara Coordinator
A - Plus and Akosua Vee Are Now Mom and Dad | Ghana Trends | Yen.com.gh: