- Nana Addo and the NPP have held their thanksgiving service at the Jesus Temple branch of the ICGC
- The president says the ICGC founder, Mensa Otabil, is a close and special friend of his
- An estimate of 6000 NPP executives attended the national delegates congress which saw Freddie Blay elected as national chairman
President Akufo-Addo has likened Pastor Mensa Otabil to a 'special friend' who prays and advises him on issues pertaining to national interests.
Speaking to the congregation of the Jesus Temple branch of the International Central Gospel Church (ICGC), the president revealed that Mensa Otabil is one of the elders in Ghana that he has close relations with.
“We are here to give thanks to God. I am here also because your overseer Dr. Otabil is my special friend. He is one of the elders who protect, pray and advise me, he is one of them,” the President said.
The thanksgiving service also saw the president admonish newly elected executives of the party to be servants rather than lords.
Nana Addo's remarks about Mensa Otabil could come as a shock to some Ghanaians. The influential preacher has stated on various platforms that he is a neutral man who is less interested in partisan politics.
In fact, the ICGC pastor came hard at some sections of the media in the 2008 presidential elections after sections of his public messages were used as campaign messages against the 'free SHS' policy of Nana Addo who was by then a presidential candidate.
The lead up to the national congress was accompanied by some controversies regarding vote buying.
Freddie Blay was criticized for flexing his financial muscle by first buying 275 buses for all constituencies and also allegedly sharing wads of cedis with a picture of him embossed on them.
In all, close to 6000 delegates across the country made it to the national congress. Security was very tight too as the police service deployed 1000 personnel to ensure that lives and properties are safeguarded.
Check out the full list of elected NPP executives:
1. Freddie Blay: Chairman
2. Rita Talata Asobayiri:1st vice Chairperson
3. F. F. Anto: 2nd Vice Chairperson
4. Michael Omari-Wadie:3rd Vice Chairperson
5. John Boadu: General Secretary
6. Sammi Awuku: Organizer
7. Abankwah Yeboah: Treasurer
8. Henry Nana Boakye: Youth Organizer
9. Kate Gyamfua: Women Organizer
10. Abdul-Aziz Haruna Futah: Nasara Coordinator
A - Plus and Akosua Vee Are Now Mom and Dad | Ghana Trends | Yen.com.gh: