- John Dramani Mahama says he is yet to declare or make a decision on whether he will contest for presidency in the 2020 general elections
- The former president has thus asked Ghanaians to ignore a statement circulating on social media
Former president John Mahama has vehemently denied releasing any statement to confirm his candidature for the 2020 general elections.
A statement circulating on social media had announced that Mahama has decided to contest for presidency in the 2020 general elections.
The said statement indicated that the ex-president has officially declared his intent of becoming flagbearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).
However, Mahama has denied releasing any statement to that effect, describing the circulation as “fake”.
In a Facebook post, he urged the public to ignore any statement that is being circulated in his name.
Mahama has previously hinted that he will contest in the 2020 elections, but his latest rebuttal has raised questions as to whether he really intends to represent the NDC as presidential candidate.
Meanwhile, the NDC MP for North Tongu, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, has backed the former president to win the primaries by huge margin if he should contest.
READ ALSO: 2 KNUST students drown in Germany
In his view, Mahama is the overwhelming favorite to lead the NDC into the next general elections and may claim at least 85% of the votes in the race.
“I have every confidence that former president John Mahama is going to win this primaries. I can predict very safely that former president Mahama is not going to win by anything less than 85%,” Mr. Ablakwa said.
YEN earlier reported that authorities of KNUST have converted all traditional halls of the school into mixed halls, effective the 2018/19 academic year.
Ghana News Today: President Akufo-Addo’s Tour | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: Government to meet FIFA on Aug 16 in Zurich