Learning how to set up VPN on android is crucial. Have you ever imagined the threats you pose yourself to if you are not using the Virtual Private Network (VPN)? It should not scare you, however, without a Virtual Private Network, think of malicious individuals who can intercept your private information, the Internet Service Provider (ISP) who can use your anonymous data to advertisers for profit. On the internet, without the Virtual Private Internet, spies and advertisers can track your movements from one website to the other and get to know your location by retrieving it from your Internet Protocol (IP) address. This is terrifying, right? With Virtual Network Information in this article, you need not be scared. The article gives you detailed and updated information on how to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Sometimes even with the convenience of using the internet, taking the necessary precautions is important. You need to do everything possible to protect yourself from harm that you can avoid. Think of it as a means to an end. This is where VPN setup is crucial. Read on to understand what this network is all about.
READ ALSO:B7 best VPN for chrome
Understanding the Virtual Private Network
VPN extends a private network over a public network. Virtual Private Network enables users to use data from a public or shared network without interference from the other users. With a Virtual Private Network set up on your computing device, the security of your information is similar to that you get when your computer device is connected to a private Network.
Virtual Private Network was necessitated, by the need of securely accessing corporate resources and applications by the branch offices and remote users. The technology enabled security of data that is, data would move protected channels, and the Virtual Private Network users would use passwords, tokens, and other secret identification procedure to gain access to VPN.
Securing your internet transactions with Virtual Private Network enables you to circumvent censorship and geo-restrictions. It also allows you to connect to proxy servers thus protecting your identity and location from unscrupulous spies. Viewed as right technology, it is important to note that some sites on the internet to do not allow unknown Virtual Private Network to access them.
With the benefits stated, it is worth taking up the opportunity to use it whenever it presents itself. Virtual Private Network is achieved by a virtual point to point connection through using a dedicated link. The connection may include; Traffic Encryption or tunneling protocol.
It is good to understand that the internet was created to facilitate easy sharing of information. Therefore the internet does not protect your private information. HTTPS tries to protect your data but not from the Internet Server Providers and local Network. It is worrying therefore that if you use a connection that is not in your own your privacy, it can be breached. In a nutshell, all you need for you to be secured is a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
How to setup a VPN server
Virtual Private Network can sound like rocket science to some people when it actually is very simple. Mention it to them, and they would think they are arcane security tools. The good news, however, is that a number of companies have worked on simplifying the technology and making it more user-friendly. As much as this outstanding security tool comes at a price, it worth understanding that the benefits you get from Virtual Private Network (VPN) outweigh the depth you get into your wallet.
When looking at Virtual Private Networks, there are a few things which come to mind. One among them is; the VPN should allow you to connect at least 5 devices at a time and if the VPN allows Bio-torrent on their serve or do not.
An average cost of a VPN is $ 6.95 a month. However, you can enjoy the benefits of a discount if you purchase a long-term contract. On a long term contract, it is advised that one gets to first understand the service before committing to a long-term deal. Before you sign up with VPN ensure you understand their terms and conditions. By doing so, you will get to know the information collected by VPN and what it does with it. Establish also where the company providing you with the VPN is located. Location does not necessarily mean physical location but rather the jurisdiction of the company's operation. For example, NordVPN is based in Panama, ProtonVPN is in Switzerland, and these Virtual Private Network servers are found in a country whose distinct law makes them not beholden to data retention law. Other regions such as the United Kingdom have different rules.
Companies have different versions of the VPN services. Once you have decided on the service you want, you will need to download the company’s app. You will need to access the Virtual Private Network on the website and download. Install the app. Once you have installed you will be required to enter your login information, that is, the username and password you used when signing up for the service.
When you are logged in the VPN app connects to the Virtual Private Network that is closest to where you are. This is necessary for the sake of better speed because latency and speed decrease with the distance of the server away from the actual location. That said, it is also important to note that you do not need to install the company's app to reap the benefits of Virtual Private Network. You can configure your computing device’s network setting for you to connect directly to the Virtual Private Network.
READ ALSO:India Blocks Access to 857 Porn Sites
How to Setup a VPN on android
The Android phone supports a few Virtual Private Network Protocol. They include; PPTP, IPsec, and L2TP.
These are the steps to follow when setting up a Virtual Private Network from an android setting.
- You will need to unlock the android phone
- Find the settings app and open it
- Get the wireless and Network section and tap on more
- Choose Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- An addition sign (+) is provided at the top corner on the right. Tap on it. At this point, your network administrator will provide you with all the desired VPN information
- Select your preferred protocol and provide the required information and then save.
- You can also set your VPN to always remain on by taping the 3-dot menu button.
How to setup a VPN windows
If you are wondering how to setup VPN windows, it is essential to understand that the set up varies from one window to the other.
- You will be required to click on the network setting. Go to VPN and click on add a VPN connection
- Get to PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol) connection configuration. On the configuration page, enter the required details. The connection name and Server name address are for the Service Company.
- You will be required to enter your Private Network Account details that is username and password in the selection box
- Allow to remember my information and save. At this point, the MPN GBR should be visible at the Virtual Network section.
- Select the VPN Connection you have just created and click on connect. The VPN will try to connect to the service and if successful the status will change to connected. You should also be able to see the Network icon on the task bar.
- Click on the start button and type VPN on the search bar. Select set up Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection
- Enter IP network or domain name you want to connect
- If you are going to set up a VPN connection and not connect then, click ‘Do not set up now’. If otherwise, leave it blank and move on
- Next click connect. At this point, you are requested to provide your username and password. You can choose to provide or not because you will require to provide it before the actual connection
- To connect, you will be required to click on the window network logo on the lower right part of the screen. Select the connection box
- In the connection box, provide the actual login credentials and domain then click connect.
If you are not able to connect, you will be required to check your Servers configuration. Check the network administrator to understand what kind is in use.
How to setup a VPN mac
The guide to macOs sierra virtual Private Network Connection
If you have VPN setting file, double-click the file to open Network preference and import the settings automatically. If double-clicking does not open the file then use the following procedure to navigate;
- Get to the apple menu
- Get to system preference and click on Network
- Click the Action pop up menu, choose import configuration
- Select the file and then click on import
You can also set the Virtual Private Network manually as follows:
- Select Apple menu
- Choose System preference and click on Network
- Add the plus (+) button in the list on the left and click the interface pop up menu then select VPN
- Click the VPN Type pop up menu. Then choose the type of VPN connection you want to set up depending on the network you are connecting to.
- Give VPN service a name then create it
- Provide the service address and the account name for the VPN connection
- Click authentication setting and provide the information as received from the network administrator then click OK followed by connect .
If you want to change from one VPN service to another, select ‘Show VPN status in menu bar’. Use the VPN icon to connect to network and change from one service provider to another.
How to setup VPN on router
There are about 6 steps to setup VPN for router. Let us look at them
- Make an internet connection form your router to the computer
- Click and open the Basic Setup tab of the DD-WRT Router. A window opens up with different fields. Get to connection type and move down to PPTP
- For ‘Use DHCP’ option, check (Yes)
- In the gateway PPTP type the name of the service that you desire to use. Enter the password and username in the respective fields. The addition PPTP option field write ‘reuse-eap'
- Go through DHCP server and ensure it is enabled. Select ‘apply settings’ and save
- Get to the Menu bar and click status followed by WAN tab and click ok.
How to setup a VPN on smart TV
If you are wondering how can you set up VPN on Smart TV follow these steps to set up VPN on your Smart TV. Install a VPN on your Android Smart TV. However, the setups would not work if the OS of your Smart TV is not Android.
- Select VPN for the recommended list
- Search for preferred VPN on the google store from your smartphone
- Download and install the apk file on your Smart TV
- Enter subscription Credential into the app
- Launch the app and select your desired VPN serve.
How to setup VPN Chrome
You will need to install an app from the chrome Extension web store. The app will appear along in the Omni box any time you use chrome
How to setup VPN Firefox
Setting up VPN Firefox is as a simple as a click to connect VPN to the browser and encrypt your connection instantly. The VPN will appear as add-on features.