In Ghana and many parts of the world, coconut oil is highly revered and preferred by many people.
It has been rated by most people as pure oil full of immense nutritional benefits.
However, information gathered by YEN.com.gh on theguardian.com have it that coconut oil is nothing but ‘pure poison’.
This was revealed by Professor Karin Michels, an epidemiologist at the Harvard TH Chan School of public health.
She was reportedly speaking at a lecture entitled “Coconut oil and other nutritional errors” at the University of Freiburg, where she holds a second academic position as director of the Institute for Prevention and Tumour Epidemiology.
YEN.com.gh brings you five reasons gathered from Prof Karin’s lecture which explains how deadly coconut oil could be for consumers.
READ ALSO: MzVee twerks with DJ Vyrusky in latest video
1. Saturated fat: According to Prof Michels, coconut oil is high in saturated fat. She described the oil as “one of the worst things anyone can eat”. Coconut oil, she warned, contains more than 80% saturated fat which is more than twice the amount of found in lard (butter), and more than 60% found in beef.
2. LDL (bad) cholesterol: The professor also raised concerns about the bad cholesterol contained in coconut oil. The cholesterol could lead to many diseases including stroke.
3. Cardiovascular disease: Prof Karin Michels has also said consumers of coconut oil risk having cardiovascular disease, obviously due to its high saturated fat content and also the bad cholesterol it contains.
4. No known offsetting favourable effects: According to the guardian’s report sighted by YEN.com.gh, coconut oil has no known offsetting favourable effects. The report went on to explain that last year, the American Heart Association (AHA) reviewed the evidence on coconut oil among other foodstuffs. While three quarters of the US public considered coconut oil to be healthy, the review noted that only 37% of nutritionists agreed. The AHA therefore, advised against the use of coconut oil, after completing the review.
5. No evidence to support health benefits: The British Nutrition Foundation has also strongly advised against the preference of coconut oil. According to the foundation, there is to date no strong scientific evidence to support health benefits from eating coconut oil, as contained in the report.
It is a known fact that coconut oil was common in the days of when vegetable oil was not, and that was what many folks who lived longer years used, therefore, many people may argue about these new information coming from the health professors.
However, since this is a matter of life and death, it would be advisable for all and sundry to review their use and consumption of coconut oil, according to the health professors' warnings and explanations.
In My Feelings Drake: Stop It! | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page