As Ghanaians, we all have local names that trace us back to specific tribes and cultures that we are rooted in.
Whereas some local names hold true meaning to the day on which one was born, others also give meaning to the kind of person the name-holder is likely to be.
In this publication YEN.com.gh brings together some Ewe names and their claimed meaning:
1. Agbeko - only life
2. Abadzivor - Bedsheet
3. Avugla - Jaw of a dog
4. Fiadigbor - Useless king
5. Amemornu - This one....
6. Tulasi - Gun in hand
7. Datsomor - An ambushing Snake
8. Kudolo - Death does wonders
9. Alegeli - Rat
10. Agormevi - This one must be whispered.
11. Avudzivi - Dog has given birth
12. Nuworgu - Waste of time and resources
13. Agbetsiame - Life is frustrating
14. Kumordzi - Death road/path
15. Agodzo- Corn husk fire. Hot air.
16. Vivõr- Ugly child
17. Kumasenu - Stubborn Death
18. Gamor - Trap
19. Gomado - It is better we don't meet
20. Gakli - Scrap metal
21. Aforklinyuie - Fortunate Stumble
22. Kese - Monkey/Chimpanzee
23. Torgodo - Behind the river
24. Akpakuvi - Calabash
25. Degodia - Remove the underwear
26. Ayivor - Beans is finished/Bad beans
27. Gbortiman - goat swallow saliva
28. Deh- Palm fruit
29. Akakpo - a heap of charcoal
30. Ahadzi - on top of an Alcoholic drink
31. Katsekpor.-if you like say fi
33. Demanya - Had I known
35. Agbota -Sheep's head
36. Agboga- Huge sheep
37. Amedeka - only 1
38.Avadzi - On top of the male junky
39.Woyome - Judgement
40. Gbegbey - Today is today
These names and their meanings cannot be overly confirmed by YEN.com.gh especially when people have the right to attach meanings to their names no matter the established norm. You may want to add on to these names and also share with us some meanings you think must be added.
Trending Ghana news Today: Lack of Evidence Against Former GFA President | Yen.com.gh: