Have you lost your WhatsApp messages? No need to worry as you can always retrieve them by following the guidelines on how to retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages outlined in this article. Interestingly, an automatic storage of chats is done every seven days and a backup is done at 2AM every day by WhatsApp. Some people also save their chats to the cloud. For these reasons, whenever you need to restore a chat you can comfortably do so by uninstalling and reinstalling this application.
You can lose WhatsApp messages accidentally or an unauthorized person can also access your phone and delete the messages. This article provides tips on how to retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages. It focuses on three key main methods including restoring chats from your last backup, restoring a less recent backup from the cloud on iOS and restoring a less recent backup on android.
How to retrieve deleted messages on whatsApp
1. Restoring your last backup
This is the first method on how to retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages on phone. Always ensure that your chat history is backed up so that you can keep it safe should you lose your phone or delete your application. While using this method to recover WhatsApp messages you should follow the steps below;
- First, you have to check whether or not your last chat was backed up. To do this, go to settings on WhatsApp. Click on Chat,then chat backup. Check the last backup, the date and time. Remember; do not try to create a backup at this time. If you do this, you will override the most recent backup and you might not be able to restore the cat history you wanted.
- The next step is to uninstall WhatsApp. Before you can restore your history, you must remove the application from your phone completely.
- Visit your app store if you are using an iPhone or the play store if you are using an Android phone
- Launch WhatsApp from home screen
- Click on agree on terms and conditions. Then enter you mobile number.
- The last step is to restore your messages. You will be notified that there is a backup on your phone. Click on restore and your messages will be retrieved. This process allows for the last backup to be restored.
2. Restoring a less recent backup on Android
This is the second method on how to restore deleted WhatsApp messages. When restoring messages, you might want to get a chat history that was not deleted recently. The following are the steps that you should follow.
- The first step is to open the app drawer. Notably, Google Drive usually contains the most recent backup files while the phone has local backup files for the last seven days.
- Click on the icon File Manager
- Click on the SD card
- Tap WhatsApp application
- Click on databases. In case your data is not stored on the SD card, it could be on the internal storage of the phone.
- Check the backup file that you want restored and rename it. If for instance it was named msgstore-2018-09-10.1.db.crypt12 rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12 .
- Next, uninstall WhatsApp
- Download WhatsApp from play store or app store and reinstall it.
- Next tap restore and that is it.
That is how to retrieve whatsapp messages when deleted, particularly if you are restoring a less recent backup on Android.
3. Restoring a less recent backup on iOS
iOS and Android devices have different features and thus function differently. Listed below are the steps you should follow to restore a recent chat from an iOS device.
- Visit the app store and download file manager
- Install the file manager in your phone
- After installation, open the file manager.
- Click on the SD card.
- Tap on WhatsApp
- Click on databases. If your information is not on the SD card, then it is stored in the internal storage of that device
- To restore the data, you need to rename the file that you want. If for instance it was named msgstore-2018-09-10.1.db.crypt12 rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12 . Other backups can be in other formats such as crypt9 or crypt10.
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your phone
- Visit the app store and download it
- Reinstall WhatsApp on your phone.
- Tap Restore to get the deleted messages
As is portrayed above, WhatsApp deleted messages can be restored whether you are using an iOS or an Android gadget. Notably, all the methods listed above require one to uninstall and then reinstall WhatsApp. You must be careful enough and ensure that you restore the chat history at that moment. If you do not do it immediately, you might not be in a position to acquire the information that you require. The steps listed above are very straightforward. By following them, you do not need an expert to help you thorough the process. Also notice that when you want to restore the messages, you should not try to back up the information then as the recent backup version can be overridden.
READ ALSO: List of the best WhatsApp status ever!
Prevention is better than cure. Information is very important and should be prevented from getting lost. It can be used as a point of reference in future. Your chat can contain information about important details such as email addresses, passwords and any other kind of personal information. As such, it is always wise to keep this information safe. You can keep your chat history from deletion by handling your phone properly. Perhaps, stop giving people your device since they can mistakenly delete those chats. Also, make it a habit to back up your chat on the cloud. The cloud has really come in handy to help people recover any information that they mistakenly lost.
Another point to note is that, you cannot restore your WhatsApp messages if you change your sim card. This is because, WhatsApp is registered under a specific phone number. If you have changed the sim card, you will also need to change the phone number so that you can be successful in this process.