Former Real Madrid boss Capello slams Messi, Ronaldo for boycotting FIFA awards

Former Real Madrid boss Capello slams Messi, Ronaldo for boycotting FIFA awards

- Real Madrid star Modric dethrones Cristiano Ronaldo as the new world's best player

- The Croat beat the 33-year-old and Mo Salah to win the prize

- However former Russia boss Capello has blasted both Messi and Ronaldo for missing the award

Former Real Madrid and Juventus manager Fabio Capello has slammed Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for missing the FIFA awards staged in London on Monday, September 24.

Russia 2018 most valuable player Luka Modric won the award for the first time in his football career - few weeks after been crowned the best in Europe.

The Croatian captain beat competitions from his former teammate Ronaldo and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah to the prize.

READ ALSO: Real Madrid star Luka Modric wins 2018 FIFA Best Award

Messi for the first time in over a decade failed to make top three this year but was included in the FIFA best eleven.

However, the former England and Russia head coach believes it is lack of respect from both stars to boycott the award they dominated for a decade.

Capello offered a more damning verdict for the two superstars who have dominated the awards for over a decade.

"The absence of Ronaldo and Messi? It is a lack of respect, for the players, for FIFA and for the world of football," Capello told TVE.

"It is possible that they won too much and do not like to lose. In life you have to be good when you win and when you lose."

READ ALSO: 6 footballers who are not interested in women

Former Uruguay and Manchester United forward Diego Forlan was also critical, citing what he sees as a lack of respect for the event and their status as role models.

"It's a pity. Messi attended the gala last year and he didn't win,' said Forlan. "It's a pity if it happens the same with Ronaldo than in the UEFA gala.

Ronaldo won the award for the last two years, as well as two FIFA Ballon d'Ors and once claiming FIFA World Player of the Year.

Messi, meanwhile, claimed four Ballons d'Or as well as one FIFA World Player of the Year honour.

READ ALSO: Mohamed Salah left young Liverpool fan in tears after giving him his jersey

Diego Forlan felt they both should have made an appearance, despite not winning the top award.

"It's an event of every player and it's important to be here. No matter who wins. A player has to show with his attitude and actions, because they are a model for the world."

Croatian great Davor Suker also slammed their perceived lack of sportsmanship over the snub.

"You have to be a gentleman when you win, but also when you lose," said Suker.

Meanwhile, the Real Madrid star while reacting to the award said: "Everyone has their own reasons (for their absence). Obviously I would have like them to be here but they aren't."

NAIJ.com earlier previously reported that Real Madrid superstar Luka Modric has won the FIFA 2018 Best player of the year award in a ceremony held in London on Monday night, September 24.

The Croatia international defeated Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah and Juventus superstar Cristiano Ronaldo to win the award in London on Monday night.

Luka Modric's performance at the 2018 FIFA World Cup helped him win the award as he captained his national team to the final of the championship where they lost to France.

Top 3 Ghana Richest Women: Who Are They? | Yen.com.gh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Your stories and photos are always welcome. Send us a message via YEN's official Facebook page.

Source: Yen.com.gh

Related news
'You'll bounce back stronger' - Akufo-Addo encourages Dogboe

'You'll bounce back stronger' - Akufo-Addo encourages Dogboe

'You'll bounce back stronger' - Akufo-Addo encourages Dogboe
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel