In an organization, school, church or even the society in which we find ourselves, there is a need for communication because without it, we cannot thrive. Human beings need effective communication skills very much, especially in business - for negotiations. In this article, we are writing about the importance of communication and the role of communication in the organization.
If you own a company, effective communication can help to foster a good working relationship between you, your staff and your share holders. This can in turn improve morale and efficiency.
READ ALSO: Inspirational prayer quotes and sayings
What is Communication?
Communication is a process of sending and receiving information. We as humans do not only communicate with others face-to-face but also through the spreading of information via the Internet and printed materials such as books and newspapers. A lot of us have come to believe that the importance of effective communication in our lives is like the importance of breathing to us. Communication also is the spread of knowledge and also a form of relating with people in society as it builds closer relationships. It can be written, oral, formal, informal, or upward, downward, horizontal, diagonal, interpersonal, intrapersonal, interdepartmental, or intra-organisational.
There are a number of business communication importance and one of them is that it helps the management of the society function well with other management. Communication also bridges the gap between individuals and groups through the flow of information and the creation of understanding between them. Information is the most important aspect of communicating and this information is transmitted, studied, analyzed, interpreted and stored. The manager of the organization is a person who achieves his goals through others, and therefore, has to spare time to collect, analyze and store the information for decision-making and routine day to day business in the organization.
The significance of effective communication
In an organization, communication facilitates the flow of information and understanding between different people and departments through different media using all the channels and networks. This flow of information is very important for managerial effectiveness and decision making in general and for human resource manager in particular as he has to be in contact with the managers of various departments, employees and workers and trade union leaders. Below are some points for importance of communication in an organization;
- First of all, communication Boosts Morale and Motivation of workers in an organization.
The functions of communication are to instill confidence among subordinates and workers in society by ensuring change in their attitude and behaviour. There are conflict and dissatisfaction due to the misunderstanding which occurs in the organization. But with communication in the organization, all these bad practices are removed. Due to the removal of misunderstanding, it makes the manager and his subordinates understand each other and create good industrial relations. This boosts up the morale of the people and motivates them to work harder.
- Secondly, the value of communication helps in spreading knowledge and information among people. For example, authors write books to impart knowledge to the World, and teachers share their experience with their students. Also, friends or co-workers discuss their ideas with each other, and companies exchange information with their subsidiaries and customers.
Besides, the advent of the Internet not only allows people to have better access to knowledge and information in all fields but also makes it easier and faster to contact people around the world. Undoubtedly, the sharing knowledge and information process cannot function without communication. As a result, companies cannot operate, and humanity will be drowned in the abyss of ignorance.
- Thirdly, the role of communication is to influence your thinking about yourself and others which a fundamental drive to communicate. Communication can be defined as the process of understanding and sharing meaning. There is meaning in what you say and how you say it, and this can be oral or written. A series of never-ending frustrations? Not being able to ask for what you need or even to understand the needs of others? Being unable to communicate might even mean losing a part of yourself because you communicate your self-concept—your sense of self and awareness of who you are—in many ways.
Perhaps someone told you that you don't speak clearly or your grammar needs improvement. Does that make you more or less likely to want to communicate? For some, it may be a positive challenge, while for others it may be discouraging. But in all cases, your ability to communicate is central to your self-concept. Take a look at your clothes. What are the brands you are wearing? What do you think they say about you? Do you feel that certain styles of shoes, jewellery, tattoos, music, or even automobiles express who you are? Part of your self-concept may be that you express yourself through texting, or through writing longer documents like essays and research papers, or through the way you speak.
- Moreover, the relevance of communication helps provides effective leadership in an organization. Good communication skills bring the manager close to his subordinates and helps him exchange ideas and submit appropriate proposals, know their opinions, seek advice and make decisions. This enables a manager to win the confidence of his subordinates by constantly communicating with them and removing probable misunderstandings. In this way, he leads his people to accomplish the organizational goal.
- Another point for the significance of communication is that it makes planning very easy. That is, communication facilitates planning, and this planning is made easy by communication. Any type of information regarding the human resource requirement of each department of the organization with their qualifications, the type and kinds of job can be collected through communication which helps in human resource planning. Policies and programmes for their acquisition can be prepared and implemented. In the entire process, communication plays a vital role, it also facilitates managerial planning of the organization.
- Finally, communication is the foundation of all human relationship. At first, strangers start talking and get to know each other, and then the relationships get stronger when they have more interaction and communication. Communicating helps people to express their ideas and feelings, and it, at the same time, helps us to understand the emotion and thoughts of others.
As a result, we will either develop affection or hatred toward other people, and even when negative emotions are felt, communication helps to clarify issues and calm tension. It is no doubt that communication plays a vital role in human life. It not only helps to facilitate the process of sharing information and knowledge but also helps people to develop relationships with others.
Communication is the movement of information from one person to another with the purpose of creating understanding and relating well in the society and the importance of communication cannot be overemphasized. Hopefully, this article has answered your question on why is communication important and what the uses of communication are