- Shatta Wale’s ‘Reign’ album was rated number 6 on an international music chart, Billboard
- The artiste and his fans were excited over this feat given that the album was launched less than two weeks ago
- Some factors have been gathered as to what led Shatta Wale to attain that achievement
Self-proclaimed champion of dancehall, Shatta Wale, made the headlines on Wednesday, October 24, 2018, when his newly launched ‘Reign’ album found its way to the prestigious Billboard charts.
This makes Shatta Wale the latest Ghanaian artiste to debut on the prestigious world’s music charts.
The first Ghana-based artiste to have ever made it onto the World Albums charts was Stonebwoy with his “Epistles of Mama” album, which ranked at no. 13 in March this year.
But Shatta Wale debuted at number six on the World Album category with “Reign” album – less than two weeks after its release.
This has earned him much praise from some of his colleagues and fans at large for achieving such a feat in a relatively short time.
However, while some have wondered what Billboard charts is, and how significant it is for one’s music career, others have also sought to know what actually spurred Shatta Wale’s ‘Reign’ album to attain such feat.
Here, YEN.com.gh brings you three factors that led to Shatta Wale’s achievement, while informing readers on what exactly Billboard charts is.
1. Streaming and social media interactions: Shatta Wale’s social media fan base is undoubtedly the biggest in Ghana; and this could be the reason why grabbing a spot on Billboard charts didn’t elude him.
Billboard recently factored streaming and social interactions on Twitter, Facebook, Vevo, YouTube, Spotify, and other popular music websites like Slacker and Radio into their ranking datum, according to a report sighted by YEN.com.gh on Pulsegh.com.
Since Shatta Wale’s new album is enjoying all the attention on social media, all the trending hashtags on Twitter, mentioning and sharing of links on Facebook, YouTube trends and views for his videos off the album and Spotify and iTunes streaming records could link to his success.
2. Album sales on iTunes and other digital music stores: Album sales are one of the major reasons why Shatta Wale’s debuted on the World Albums chart. Shatta Wale didn’t earn the spot by submitting the “Reign” album to Billboard for consideration – it was done true tracking system.
An information system created by Nielsen, SoundScan, is used by Billboard to track sales of music and music videos in the United States and Canada. The system collects sales information from over 14,000 retail and nontraditional sources such as online stores and concert sales. For instance, to enter Billboard’s Heatseeker Albums chart, you need to sell, on average, 450 to 500 albums in the first week.
3. Radio and TV airplay: Radio and TV airplay accounted to Shatta Wale’s debut on the Billboard Charts.
Billboard uses Broadcast Data Systems (BDS) created by Nielsen to identify songs that air on radio and TV channels across the United States and Canada. This process is done 24/7 and captures over 100 million songs annually.
The data from BDS is used not only by Billboard, but also by radio stations, record company executives, publishing firms, performance rights organizations, music retailers, and film and TV producers.
If Shatta Wale peaks at number 1 for a couple of weeks, he may head to Billboard Award 2019.
Meanwhile, Billboard has a variety of charts – and World Albums chart, which listed Shatta Wale is just one of them. The ultimate charts are Top 40, Hot 100, Billboard 200, and other individual charts like pop, hip-hop/RnB and dance/electronic.
For starters, Billboard has been measuring music success since 1940. They track data from musicians’ works and rank them by numbers.
There are some other factors they take into considering before listing musicians on their various chart but these are the three major factors which got Shatta Wale’s ‘Reign’ album rated at number 6 on Billboard Charts after it’s release on October.
Ghana News Today: Chaotic Riot by KNUST Students / Poisonous Tilapia on Ghanaian Markets |Yen.com.gh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page