PURC denies claims of tariff increment

PURC denies claims of tariff increment

-The Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC), has refuted claims of increasing power tariffs by 33%.

The former Deputy Power Minister, John Jinapor, on Thursday, November 8, alleged that there had been a secret tariff increment by the PURC and described the act as illegal.

However,the commission said it has tracked the tariff implementation within the power sector and is certain that the prevailing tariffs were the approved ones.

PURC denies claims of tariff increament

Former deputy Power minister, John Jinapor. Credit: Supplied

READ ALSO: Social Media users descend heavily on Fella Makafui for snatching Medikal from Sister Derby

According to him, the Electricity Company of Ghana’s work plan revealed the increment which independent power producers attribute to the depreciation of the local currency.

Meanwhile Head of Communications at the PURC, Bawa Mounkaila, told Citi News that the allegations were unsubstantiated.

According to him, Jinapor was making reference to a particular document submitted to Parliament which the PURC was not privy to.

He noted that the PURC had been monitoring the tariffs being charged and had realized the prices that were gazetted on March 15, 2018, were still being charged.

READ ALSO: Exclusive photos and video of fire, bullets and protests at Madina-Adentan Highway

Jinapor said per his analysis, the amount had been increased by 33% to an amount of GHC 52.7 pesewas per kilowatt hour,which ultimately is passed on to the consumer.

He indicated that the said price increase was carried out on the instructions of the Ministry of Energy, during the tenure of Mr. Boakye Agyarko, adding that the Minority will soon file a motion in parliament on the issue.

But the PURC has denied knowledge of any such increment. It suggests that the alleged increment may apply to the deregulated market where it has no control.

READ ALSO: Maturity is your ability to think - Fella Makafui explains amidst accusations of man-snatching

Ghana News Today: Mensa Otabil and 12 Others Sued / Prince Charles Arrives in Ghana | #Yencomgh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.

Source: Yen.com.gh

Related news
Photo of Dorcas Naa Lamiley Mills who is reported missing goes viral online

Young lady Dorcas Naa Lamiley Mills reported missing

Photo of Dorcas Naa Lamiley Mills who is reported missing goes viral online
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel