The debate on the government’s proposal to construct a national cathedral seems to be unending.
In a more recent news, President Akufo-Addo has reiterated that whether Ghanaians like it or yes, the cathedral will be built to the “glory of God”.
YEN.com.gh earlier published the story of Ghanaians getting angry over photos of beautiful buildings which were being demolished to pave way for the construction of the national cathedral.
READ ALSO: Christian Atsu pays 7,000 pounds to set African prisoners free
This is because they believe there are pressing issues begging for intervention which the government should focus on rather than the cathedral.
Against this backdrop, YEN.com.gh brings you five of these developmental projects that Ghanaians have wished the president and his government would see the need to support instead of building a cathedral.
READ ALSO: She must hit the gym – Fans fear over latest photo of Maame Serwaa
1. Hospital beds: Not long ago, many deaths were recorded in top hospitals in Ghana including Korle Bu because there were no beds to treat sick people. Also the Tema Manhean Clinic has been left in a hopeless state where both men and women including children who are sick were all sharing the same single ward because there were no wards let alone talk of beds. Ghanaians believe things would be better if only Akufo-Addo would channel the nation’s resources into building more health facilities and provide beds.
2. Hospital toilets: Most of the health facilities, especially in some districts in Ghana, surprisingly do not have toilet facilities. In a series of documentary monitored by YEN.com.gh on GHone TV, patients on admission at some hospitals resort to the bush around to ease themselves. In narrating her ordeal, one old woman said she had to spend more days at the hospital even after her former sickness was treated because she was bitten by a snake during one of her frequent visits to the bush to go to toilet. The sad question is would these patients ever get well and go home if they keep easing themselves in the bush – a practice that would definitely spread diseases like cholera to them?
READ ALSO: She is now a big girl – Ghanaians excited over latest photo of Sarkodie and his daughter
3. Ambulances: Ghanaians have also decried the lack of national ambulances. This issue was topical in the media some time back, however, the government is yet to take a step to salvage the situation. Recently, Shatta Wale went on rampage calling Ghana a village. Some of his reasons were that the country had no ambulances, making life here very difficult.
4. Poor roads: It seems there is no community in Ghana which can boast of all good roads without poor ones. Many Ghanaians, especially, drivers, have lamented the poor roads and have called on the government to come to their aid. Government has not responded to their calls, but the president is determined to build a national cathedral.
READ ALSO: Kennedy Agyapong blasts Akufo-Addo for blaming Mahama over new “dumsor”
5. “Dumsor”: Currently, the erratic power situation, which is popular known as “dumsor”, is back. Many Ghanaians have become livid of the situation and asked the government to curb it before it got out of hands. Even an NPP MP, Kennedy Agyapong, has attacked Akufo-Addo on the recent power crises. According to him, the president wass not being honest with Ghanaians with the cause of the “dumsor”, which he said is as a results of debts owed by ECG. Agyapong also told the government that Ghanaians do not deserve excuses for “dumsor” after it has been in power for 2 years.
Meanwhile, a former deputy minister of information, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, has revealed that the government would be spending a huge sum of $100m on the national cathedral.
He said such a spending was irresponsible on the part of the government because there are more important things, like the aforementioned, which need to be provided for Ghanaians.
READ ALSO: Investigative journalism has brought me more betrayals – Anas reveals
Yenkasa: Some Musicians Share Thoughts on Kuami Eugene's 'Rockstar' Album| #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: I have lost my original manhood - Assaulted Badu Kobi’s junior pastor cries
Click here to get the latest exciting English Premier League news. Get match highlights, reports, photos & videos all in one place