Many are the times that people have come up with definitions of the word love based on their experiences and what they have been told. So what is love? The notions about love are many and diverse just as people are. However, there are certain definitions of the word love that have been accepted depending on whether or not you are a Christian. Read on to see how people have defined love over the years.
Love is a beautiful thing. People have described it as something to be envied and adored over the years. This article brings forth a few of the most common definitions of love even in the Bible. There are also quotes to look out for.
READ ALSO: 20 best Thanksgiving quotes
Definition of love
Love has been defined in so many different ways. The following are a few of the most common definitions you will come across as described by many people.
1. Love is a strong feeling or emotion.
2. Love is a strong word. Don’t overuse it. Poop.
3. To give everything you have…and not expect anything in return. Balot_Head.
4. Love is an intense feeling of deep affection.
5. A word used by many, but understood by few. Reback.
6. Love is indescribable and undefinable, if you’re in love… you know it. Your Tangerine.
What is Love according to the Bible?
1. Love is patient; love is kind and envies no one. Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offence. Love keeps no score of wrongs; does not gloat over another’s sins, but delights in the truth. There is nothing love cannot face; there is not limit to its faith, its hope, and its endurance. In a word, there are three things that last forever: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of them all is love.” (1 Corinthians 13)
2. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 1 John 4:8 (KJV)
The above description are just but a few ways that love has been defined. There is a possibility that many people have different views on the same but what's most important is what God has to say about the subject.
With a bit of understanding of how love is defined, the following are some of the quotes that have been seen around concerning love. You can get that people have had different experiences in love just going by these quotes. One way of explaining the meaning of love is through the use of love pictures. After all, it is said that a picture is worth more than a thousand words.
- Love is giving someone the power to destroy you, and trusting them not to. There’s a thin line between love and hate. MyLittlePwny
- The act of caring and giving to someone else…having someone’s best interest and well-being as a priority in your life. To truly L.O.V.E. is a very selfless act.
- Lust is the desire for their body. Love is the desire for their soul. Militant Liberal
- It is a short word, easy to spell, difficult to define, and impossible to live without. Sayshainar
- Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination. Voltaire
- Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your heart or burn down your house, you can never tell. Joan Crawford
- When we know love matters more than anything, and we know that nothing else REALLY matters, we move into the state of surrender. Surrender does not diminish our power, it enhances it. Sara Paddison
- When love is not madness it is not love. Pedro Calderón de la Barca
- Sometimes love means letting go when you want to hold on tighter. Melissa Marr
- The course of true love never did run smooth. William Shakespeare
- Anyone who loves in the expectation of being loved in return is wasting their time. Paulo Coelho
- All you need is love. Love is all you need. John Lennon
READ ALSO: Inspirational Joel Osteen quotes with images
Love her messages
By now you understand the many love meaning out there. It is clear that love is expressed differently especially depending on who it targets. Check out the following messages for your girl.
- Nothing else matters, really. Nothing else. Life is not about Netflix and chill, neither is it about money or success. Life is all about LOVE. Loving and being loved. Audrey Hepburn.
- I know I am in love with you because my reality is finally better than my dreams. Dr Sues
- Come live in my heart and pay no rent. Samuel Lover
- To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life. Elizabeth Gilbert
- Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time. Maya Angelou
- Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it. Nicholas Sparks
- You can’t blame gravity for falling in love. Albert Einstein
- It’s easy to fall in love. The hard part is finding someone to catch you. Bertrand Russell
- Sex alleviates tension. Love causes it. Woody Allen.
- You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear. Oscar Wilde
- Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. Helen Keller
- I wanted to tell you that wherever I am, whatever happens, I’ll always think of you, and the time we spent together, as my happiest time. I’d do it all over again, if I had the choice. No regrets. Cynthia Hunt.
- No matter what has happened. No matter what you’ve done. No matter what you will do. I will always love you. I swear it. C J Redwine.
- Love lets you find those hidden places in another person, even the ones they didn’t know were there, even the ones they wouldn’t have thought to call beautiful themselves. Hillary Smith.
- I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you. John Greene.
- I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little. Rae Carson.
- It’s one thing to fall in love. It’s another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a responsibility toward that love. David Lavithan.
- I love you. Remember. They cannot take it. Lauren Oliver.
READ ALSO: Rapid - Tete Asore: video, mp3 and facts
Love can be expressed in so many forms including poetry. In case you want to say I love you differently without necessarily using love pics, then poems offer a great and simple way to express this intense feeling. Check out a few examples of great love poems you can use.
If my love were an ocean,
there would be no more land.
If my love were a desert,
you would see only sand.
If my love were a star-
late at night, only light.
And if my love could grow wings,
I’d be soaring in flight. Jay Asher.
You are everything
I could ever need and more,
More than I deserve
Or would dare wish for. D Lancaster
Who said that love was fire?
I know that love is ash.
It is the thing which remains
When the fire is spent.
The holy essence of experience. Patience Worth.
She walks in Beauty, like the night
Of Cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
meet in her aspect and her eyes. Lord Byron.
That I did always love
I bring thee proof
That till I loved
I never lived. Emily Dickson.
READ ALSO: 33 powerful morning prayer for God's favour
Love quotes from the Bible
The following are some of the stands on love as seen in the Bible.
- Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. Romans 13:10 (KJV)
- Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 1 John 4:7 (KJV)
- And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. Romans 5:5 (KJV)
- But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 (KJV)
- In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 1 John 4:9 (KJV)
- And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16 (KJV)
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22 and 23
- I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine. Song of Solomon 8:3
- Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. Colossians 3:18-19
- I found the one my heart loves. Song of Solomon 3:4
- May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer— may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be intoxicated with her love. Proverbs 5:18-19
- Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If one were to give all the wealth of one’s house for love, it would be utterly scorned. Song of Solomon 8:6
- Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
- If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3
- Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:9-10
- The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these. Mark 12:29-31
- A friend loves at all times. Proverbs 17:17
- And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13
- Many claim to have unfailing love, but a faithful person who can find? The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them. Proverbs 20:6-7
With the quotes and descriptions above, the question "what is love?" must have been answered satisfactorily? However, there is the possibility of having this change over time since our personal experiences also influence how we view love. What remains constant however is the love of God as described in the Bible.