Cakes are delicious desserts that many people love. Moreover, cakes are of so many types and what makes a cake different from another is the ingredients used to make it. This is why you will find that some cakes are more expensive than others. However, did you know that you can cut down on the cost of cakes by making your own at home? Read on to know how to make cake at home with only 50 cedis.
Although cakes are said to be high in calories, they have some undeniable benefits to our bodies. All one needs to do is ensure that they eat small portions. Some cakes are made with ingredients such as apples, berries, and pineapples that are a good source of fibre. Such cakes improve digestion. Moreover, the ingredients of some cakes include milk and eggs that are a source of protein, thus providing strength to the human body. Flour is also a key ingredient in cakes, and as such, it is a source of energy since it is a carbohydrate.
Making a simple cake at home
A simple cake is one of the cakes you can make at home with less than 50 cedis since it does not contain any flavours.
You will need the following ingredients for this cake:
- One cup of sugar (preferably white sugar) (5 cedis)
- Half a cup of butter (21 cedis)
- Half a cup of milk (2 cedis)
- Two eggs (1 cedi)
- One and half a cup of all-purpose flour (8 cedis)
- One and three-quarters teaspoons of baking powder (25 cedis per 100g)
For the simple cake, the ingredients will cost you approximately 42 cedis. This means that you even have change to explore other ingredients for making other types of cakes.
You will need the following apparatus or instruments
- A pan
- A bowl
Here are the steps you will need to follow to make this simple cake:
- You will need to first preheat your oven and grease your pan using flour.
- Put butter and sugar into your bowl and the beat in your eggs one at a time. After this, mix the flour and baking powder separately and then add them to the creamed mixture and mix them well. If you have a mixing tool, use it to stir and make sure the batter is smooth.
- Pour the mixed ingredients from the bowl into the pan you prepared earlier and then put the pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes. If you notice that the cake springs back to touch, know that it is ready.
And with that, you have your simple cake.
READ ALSO: Best fufu and groundnut soup recipe in Ghana
Making a sponge cake
Another type of cake that you can easily make if you only have 50 cedis is the sponge cake.
To make this cake, the following ingredients are necessary:
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter (22 cedis)
- One and a half cups of cake flour (4 cedis)
- 9 eggs (with separated yolks and egg whites) (5 cedis)
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract (5 cedis)
- A pinch of kosher salt (4 cedis)
- Powdered sugar (7 cedis)
The ingredients will cost you about 47 cedis.
Here are the steps for preparing a sponge cake:
- Preheat the oven and prepare the baking pan. The oven should be set to 180°C (350°F). To prepare the pan, spread butter on the pan or use rimmed baking sheets.
- Pour water into a saucepan and get it simmering, or slightly bubbling. Place a bowl over the saucepan taking care that the bowl does not touch the water.
- Add the egg yolks and 1 cup of sugar to the bowl.
- Use a mixing tool for about 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high to beat the mixture until it thickens slightly. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Place the egg whites on a separate large bowl and beat them with a mixer on high speed.
- Pour in the whites into the yolks. Do this gradually, by pouring in one-third of the whites at a time. Gently sift the flour over the top and mix it in as well.
- Pour in the melted butter.
- Spread the batter in the pan and bake.
- If you used cake pans, hold a plate over the cake, and then swiftly turn it upside down so the cake comes out onto the plate.
- Fill or frost as per your desire.
With that, you have a sponge cake.
Now you know how to make cake at home with 50 cedis. Go ahead and get the necessary ingredients and start baking. Enjoy your cake!
- Top 12 Delicious Ghanaian Food Recipes for Any Occasion
- How to Prepare Kontomire Stew in Ghana
- Best Ghanaian dishes for supper
- How to prepare okro stew in Ghana
- Traditional Ghanaian Jollof Rice Recipe