- The Odorna Market inferno according to Mohammed Adjei Sowah, was caused by a faulty refrigerator investigations have revealed
- He however cautioned traders against undertaking activities that were likely to spark fires
Findings of an investigation into the fire incident that gutted over 150 shops at the Odorna Market at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle, indicated that the inferno occurred as a result of a faulty refrigerator.
According to the Metropolitan Chief Executive of Accra, Mohammed Nii Adjei Sowah, the report mentioned that the refrigerator caught fire in a wooden structure and spread to other stalls within the market.
Speaking to Citi News, the MCE cautioned traders against undertaking activities that were likely to spark fire in the market.
“One of the shops had two refrigerators, one of which was faulty and sparked the fire. Unfortunately, it was a wooden structure so it caught flames and it spread very fast. We want to make sure that some of these things do not happen in our markets.”
Meanwhile, the Klottey-Korley Member of Parliament, Zanetor Agyeman-Rawlings, in whose jurisdiction the market is located, has called for an immediate structural integrity assessment of the market to avert future outbreaks.
An opinion leader at the market, Salamatu Adams, also wants the Metropolitan Assembly to stop people from sleeping and cooking in the market.
The Odorna Market, which was hit by the fire outbreak last week was partially opened on Monday after it was temporarily shut down to allow for investigations.
No casualties were recorded in last Wednesday’s incident beyond the destruction caused to traders’ wares running into thousands of Ghana cedis.
There was a similar fire incident in 2013 in the Odorna market that led to the lose of thousands of properties.
Ghana News Today: NAM1 Arrested / GPHA Public Affairs Boss Stabbed to Death | #Yencomgh
Click here to get the latest exciting English Premier League news. Get match highlights, reports, photos & videos all in one place.