- At least 13 miners have died after an explosion within the mining concession of Chinese company, Shaanxi Mining Ltd in the Upper East Region
- The tragedy happened Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at dawn while workers of the company based in the Talensi district blasted explosives in an effort to mine
A mining concession at Gbani in the Talensi District of the Upper East Region has exploded, leading to the death of 13 miners.
The incident is reported to have happened in the early hours of Wednesday, January 23, 2019 when some miners tried to manoeuvre their way through the concession.
Myjoyonline.com reports that the mining concession belongs to Shaanxi Mining Company, but the illegal miners tried to enter it through a different route.
The report claims the miners sneaked into the area unaware that the engineers of the company had scheduled explosives to extract some rocks rich in gold for processing.
However, while they were inside, the concession exploded, leaving them trapped and without an escape route.
The miners are reported to have inhaled some dangerous chemicals which led to the death of 13 of them.
Reports suggest some of the miners survived but were unconscious as at the time they were being transported to the hospital.
Meanwhile, only five bodies had been retrieved, with the others pulled out later.
Confirming the incident, Public Relations Officer (PRO) of Shaanxi Mining Ghana, Maxwell Wooma, said all the victims are not staff of Shaanxi Mining Company.
“They are not our staff. Most of these things happen at the blind side of our own operations. But because we are very close to them, they usually use us as a convenient alibi when these accidents occur,” he said.
“It’s in the course of their own operations that this has occurred. When we get to the hospital, we can establish who brought who, how many did the person bring, at what time and where were they working? At least, this should be able to assist the public with the truth and the facts. It’s very clear that the (victims) were not our staff,” he added.
The bodies of all the deceased have since been deposited at the Bolgatanga Regional Hospital morgue for preservation.
The Minerals Commission has ordered the Chinese mining company Shaanxi Ltd to suspend all mining activities with immediate effect.
Ghana News Today: Latest on Hussein-Suale's Murder / High Spate of Ponzi Schemes in Ghana| #Yencomgh
Click here to get the latest exciting English Premier League news. Get match highlights, reports, photos & videos all in one place.