Foreign Ministry expresses disappointment over US visa sanctions

Foreign Ministry expresses disappointment over US visa sanctions

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has expressed disappointment over recent visa sanctions on Ghana by the United States of America.

In a statement released on Friday, February 1, 2019, the Ministry noted that they are concerned and disappointed at the decision of the pending visa sanction.

Foreign Ministry expresses disappointment over US visa sanctions

Shirley Ayorkor Botchway. Source: Myjoyonline.com
Source: UGC

The Ministry in its statement said that they have always cooperated and engaged the US authorities in processing and removal of Ghanaians from the US.

READ ALSO: NPP will never compete with any party in unleashing violence - Akufo-Addo

“The Ministry wishes to state that these allegations are unfounded and the sanctions imposed on Ghana are without any justification whatsoever,” the statement noted.

The United States few days ago placed a visa ban on Ghana following Ghana's alleged refusal to accept deported Ghanaians from the US.

This, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration claims is uncalled for since Ghana is complying with all arrangement towards receiving the yet to be deported Ghanaians illegally living in the US.

Initially, US authorities were reported to have informed the Ghanaian embassy in Washington that about 7000 Ghanaians are awaiting deportation.

The 7000 Ghanaians living in different states of the US are said to be there illegally, thus have been arrested by US police, pending deportation.

In the statement, the Ministry explained that Ghana's embassy in Washington is taking action on the matter according to international law.

READ ALSO: NPP's Nana B slaps NDC's Sammy Gyamfi

"Ghana Embassy in Washington DC undertakes identification and verification processes to ensure that all persons earmarked for deportation to Ghana are bonafide citizens of Ghana," the statement noted.

In providing further details, the Ministry disclosed that out of 28 applications received from US authorities, 19 had been interviewed by the Ghana embassy.

Out of the 19 Ghanaian nationals to be deported, the Ministry said they successfully issued traveling certificates to 11 to travel back to Ghana.

However, some of the people are have not been interviewed due to doubt about their Ghanaian nationality, ill health and pending litigation in US courts.

The Ministry then assured that it is assessing the situation and would institute appropriate measures within the context of international law to resolve the matter.

READ ALSO: Ayawaso violence was an ‘NPP-sponsored terror’ – Ablakwa

Ghana News Today: By-elections turn bloody as gunmen storm La Bawaleshie polling station| #Yencomgh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Click here to get the latest exciting English Premier League news. Get match highlights, reports, photos & videos all in one place.

Source: Yen.com.gh

Related news
Nana Aba Anamoah's baby daddy wears skirt in latest photos and fans say he is a mess

Nana Aba Anamoah's baby daddy wears skirt in latest photos and fans say he is a mess

Nana Aba Anamoah's baby daddy wears skirt in latest photos and fans say he is a mess
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel