Former IBF world welterweight champion, Joshua Clottey, has finally announced his retirement from boxing.
Clottey made this announcement on Friday, March 8, 2019 at the Bukom Boxing Arena following an impressive performance against a stubborn Mfaume Mfaume of Tanzania.
Clottey looked fit and younger than a 41 year-old. He attacked, held his defensive guard up and swerved on a good number of occasions.
One of the strong points for Joshua was the effective use of his left on Mfaume’s body and this became the latter’s bane which prevented him from answering the bell for the 6th round.
“I did this for the fans because they have supported me throughout this journey. I punched and made sure I was attacking and swerving at the same time and it worked.”
“This is a surprise. This is my last fight. I want to retire I have fought the best and made some good things out of the sport. I am glad that I won a world title and fought many big names as well. If the media think I should continue, however I will but for now, I am retired,” he said. Joshua had earlier said he wanted to return and win one more world title in the build up to the fight."
Clottey had his first professional fight in 1995 when he defeated Samuel Lotsu.
Since then he has fought credible opponents like, Antonio Magarito, Zab Juda, Miguel Cotto and Manny Pacquiaio.
I don't do secular music. I do good music with good themes: Kuami Eugene - Star Gist| #Yencomgh:
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.