This week started on a bad note for everyone across the globe following a fatal plane crash that claimed many lives.
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 an Ethiopian Airline flight crashed minutes after takeoff, killing all the 149 passengers and eight crew aboard on Sunday.
A spokesperson for Ethiopian Airlines said among the dead in the crash are 32 Kenyans and 17 Ethiopians.
READ ALSO: Charlotte Osei's dad is dead
It was also later confirmed that there were 31 other nationalities among those on board the new Boeing 737-8 MAX plane that crashed
According to authorities, the victims include 18 Canadians; eight each from China, the United States and Italy; seven each from France and Britain; six from Egypt; five from the Netherlands and four each from India and Slovakia.
This has sparked great concern among travelers, especially those who travel via planes. Meanwhile, the Chinese government has ordered for its fleet of Boeing Co. 737 Max 8 jets to be grounded.
PAY ATTENTION: Pointers To A Healthy Relationship We All Should Know About
Below, we take a look at 10 major commercial airlines accidents in the last five years (excluding the Ethiopian Airlines crash), according to reports by the Washington Post:
1. October 2015 – 224 people were killed when an Airbus A321, operated by Kogalymavia and traveling from Egypt to St. Petersburg, was blown up over the Sinai Peninsula.
2. March 2016 – Adverse weather was blamed for the crash landing of a FlyDubai Boeing 737 traveling from the United Arab Emirates to Russia; 62 people were killed.
3. May 2016 – An EgyptAir Airbus A320 headed to Egypt from France crashed into the Mediterranean Sea after the pilot lost control of the plane; 66 people were killed.
4. November 2016 – An Avro RJ85 operated by LaMia carrying a Brazilian soccer team from Bolivia to Colombia crashed; 71 of the 77 people on board died. Flying with extremely limited fuel contributed to the crash.
5. December 2016 – Engine failure was to blame for the crash of an ATR 42-500 operated by Pakistan International Airlines. The plane was carrying 48 people.
READ ALSO: Court sentences Nigerian man Lekan Shonde to death for killing his wife
6. February 2018 – An Antonov An-148 operated by Saratov Airlines crashed shortly after taking off from Moscow, claiming 71 lives. The accident was caused by loss of control of the plane.
7. February 2018 – An ATR 72 flown by Aseman Airlines went down in Iran, killing 66. Crew errors and bad weather were contributing factors.
8. March 2018 – A Bombardier Dash operated by US-Bangla crashed in Nepal before completing its journey from Bangladesh. The pilot’s lack of “emotional stability” is blamed for the accident.
9. May 2018 – A Boeing 737 leased by Cubana, Cuba’s national airline, crashed, killing 112. The company that owned the plane blamed pilot error.
10. October 2018 – A Lion Air Boeing 737 Max crashed in Indonesia with 189 people aboard. A preliminary investigation blamed a malfunctioning sensor.
Ghana News Today: Stonebwoy Performs at his Independence Concert | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page