The Interior Minister, Ambrose Dery, has inaugurated a Special Disbursement Committee to disburse monies raised for victims of the June 3, 2015 disaster.
The seven-member Committee is under the Chairmanship of the Deputy Director-General in-charge of Technical and Reforms at the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Seji Saji.
Dery charged the Committee to disburse all monies raised to the victims and to disburse the Benin Government’s $200,000 support fund too.
He also tasked the Committee to collaborate with all groups, organisations and NGOs that raised funds in support of the victims to know how much had been raised, and if it was enough to be disbursed or there was the need for more funds to be raised in support of the victims.
“I believe the Committee will discharge its duties with diligence to bring relief to the victims of the 3rd June twin disaster".
Fortunately, most of the surviving victims have constituted themselves into groups, which can be reached easily and NADMO had their contacts as well. This should help the Committee do its work without much difficulties,” Dery added.
The minister urged the Committee to ensure transparency in the execution of its mandate.
PAY ATTENTION: Meet Top 20 Wealthiest Families Of The World
He said the Government responded through NADMO by providing support for the victims of both the flood and the fire incidents.
He added that the Government supported 96 out of the 110 bereaved families with an amount of GH¢10, 000.00 each towards the burial and funeral rites.
The Minister said the remaining 14 families were not compensated due to uncertainties surrounding their next of kin.
Ghana News Today: Residents of Tuba are living on a time bomb | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.