A 25-year-old mason has literally drank himself to death after he participated in an alcohol drinking competition in the twin city of Sekodi-Takoradi.
Obeng Hamza, a 25-year-old mason , reportedly collapsed and eventually died after partaking in an akpeteshie drinking competetion in Sekondi-Takoradi.
The mason died at the Spring Mission Clinic after he was rushed to the facility due to an obvious excessive intake of the locally brewed gin.
Akpeteshie is a local Ghanaian gin distilled from the palm tree by usually, rural farmers. For decades, it has been the drink of choice of many low-income men and women and since it is made in informal settings, alcohol contents are not measured.
The death of Hamza, according to Starrfm.com.gh, has thrown the community in a state of shock and grief especially among the young ones.
READ ALSO: Young man organises his Dutch friends to embark on impactful clean-up in Osu
Narrating the incident, the pub owner Kojo Isaac Eshun, said the deceased and his friend Gyentia came to his bar around 9am on the morning of Friday, March 29, 2019.
The pair ordered for a full bottle of Akpeteshie.
The bar owner further revealed that the two in no time consumed the drink and ordered for another round in apparent competition of who gives up first.
He said Hamza was suddenly weak and started sweating profusely so he (Eshun) raised alarm for help.
READ ALSO: Social media users celebrate Akufo-Addo as he turns 75 years
But Hamza was pronounced dead at the clinic while his friend is responding to treatment.
A brother-in-law of Hamza said the deceased had brought shame to the family and therefore could not be buried according to Islamic custom and tradition. Islam forbids the consumption of alcohol.
The body was yet to be conveyed to the morgue at the time of going to press.
Ghana News Today: Mass Burial Organized for Kintampo Accident Victims | #Yencomgh:
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.