- The housing deficit of Ghana keeps inching up and has almost hit two million
- The 1,412 Saglemi housing project which could resolve this issue has been left hanging
- Government plans on terminating the deal because of anomalies
The Minority in parliament has expressed outrage concerning some 1,412 affordable houses, which, it says, have been left to rot since the Akufo-Addo government took office in January 2017.
At an on-site press conference by the Minority members of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Works and Housing, a Ranking Member, Emmanuel Kwasi Bedzrah, wondered why so many houses would be left to rot while the housing deficit inches up – almost hitting two million.
Speaking on Class91.3FM’s news programme on Tuesday evening, April 16, 2019, the housing minister, Samuel Atta Akyea said that his office was waiting for an advice from the Attorney General regarding how to deal with the project, since some anomalies have been detected with the contract.
READ ALSO: Anas sues Multimedia for defamation
According to him, the government is considering terminating the contract, adding that the AG, Ms Gloria Akuffo, has assured him that her office is almost done perusing the voluminous contract documents she had been studying and would soon proffer an advice as to the way forward.
Atta Akyea wondered why only over 600 units have been completed when about 90 per cent payment had been made to the contractor.
Meanwhile, the lawmaker said the Select Committee on Works and Housing visited the site on Thursday, April 11, and observed that they needed on-site social infrastructure and facilities such as an electricity distribution board, street lights, open spaces, tarred roads and covered drains had all been provided.
“The Phase I of the project, which comprises 1,412 units consisting of two- and three-bedrooms, 116 normal town housing units, have practically been completed, one of which has been designated for a police station. 636 units out of the 1,024 were also completed for occupation,.The remaining 388, he said, have been 70 per cent completed,” he noted.
On Friday, October 31, 2012, parliament granted an approval of $200 million for the construction of the affordable houses at Saglemi near Tsopoli in the Ningo Prampram District of the Greater Accra Region.
The contract, according to the Minority, was awarded on February 21, 2014 with an initial completion date being March 2016. A total of 5,000 housing units were to be delivered at the end of the contract.
Ghana News Today: Full Economic Management Town Hall Meeting by Bawumia | #Yencomgh
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.
Source: Yen Newspaper