District Coordinators of the Nation Builders Corps (NABCo) in three regions in the north have indicated that they will lay down their tools starting May 1, 2019.
Disgruntled district coordinators of the NABCo in three regions of the north have served notice that they will protest their living conditions beginning next month.
The coordinators are upset over their unpaid allowances which they say have been in arrears since they were commissioned into office in August 2018.
Over twenty eight coordinators covering the Northern, Savanna and North East Regions disclosed that their current state of living conditions compelled the decision.
They indicated that their conditions have become rather deplorable since they started work and have had to depend on families, friends and associates to survive.
Most of them with professions including teachers were made resign prior to joining NABCo to avoid receiving double salaries.
A member who spoke anonymously disclosed that ‘‘since then, and all these while, none of [them] in the whole country has received a penny from government.’’
One could tell the disappointment, “If I tell you how we’re suffering, my brother, you won’t believe,” the source continued, ” some of us actually beg our friends and borrow from family members to survive and feed our own family’’, he decried.
The coordinators further indicated that government also failed to provide them with logistics to undertake the project which is contrary to their terms of engagement. The lack of logistics has affected monitoring and supervision of the programme.
Another coordinator remarked that “government owes us about six months’ salary arrears. When they recruited us we were told our salaries will be backdated to June because we started working before our appointment letters in November 2018. The national headquarters asked us on several times to update our bank details for payment but nothing has happened since.’’
The coordinators said they have decided to protest their working conditions to force government to release their allowances. Or at least tell them when to expect it.
They say all attempts to resolve the issues including involving Members of Parliament have failed to yield positive results.
“We have to stop working, because anytime we ask, government always blame Bank of Ghana for keeping our money. The finance minister said he has released the money, but yet we are not getting it in our accounts. So when we stop working, we will know if indeed Bank of Ghana is holding our money, it’s quite simple.’’
NABCO is a government enterprise aimed at addressing graduate joblessness with focus on solving social related challenges including public service delivery in health, education, agriculture, technology, governance, revenue mobilization and collection.
The programme hopes to advance knowledge and skills of the graduates as they await better and permanent employment opportunities. In the process, government will also use the program to enhance and improve access to services and basic public infrastructure.
This is also part of efforts by the government to fulfill major political campaign promises and to run some main national development policies, strategies and programmes such as the Double Track School System under the Free Senior High School, Planting for Food and Jobs, Digital Inclusion Agenda, and several others.
Over 70,000 Ghanaian fresh graduates are currently engaged under the programme in different modules.
Ghana Nti: Why is the introduction of new uniforms a priority of GES? | #Yencomg
Want to be featured on YEN.com.gh? Send us a message on our Facebook page with your stories, photos or videos.